Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Planted Tank?

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
Is it A good idea to try a planted tank for my axolotl? I'm thinking something with riccia moss and driftwood. I have two in a 50 gallon thank is in a really sunny area, and I was hoping to set up a planted tank there. Any feedback would help thanks.:bowl:

emmyk

Reaction score
Hi! As long as its low light plants. :) I have a walstad tank that's working wonderful. If its sunny all the time make sure the plants are thick and they have hides.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

emmyk

Reaction score
I get all my plants from Peabody's paradise.com. I have lace fern, some floating plants, java ferns, Anubias...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

JoshBA

Reaction score
I think java moss would work better for attaching to wood, as it grows fast and does well in most water conditions and low light. Riccia usually only grows fast if kept floating, and if its at the bottom of the tank, I believe it needs CO2 injection and high lighting to get decent growth results.

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
if I try a walstad tank, could I try riccia moss? I like the look of riccia moss and maybe some tall leafy plants, java fern anubias and others... would riccia moss work in a walstad tank with axolotls?

HayleyK

Reaction score
My axies absolutely love real plants, I will never go back to fake plants. They really make the tank look great.. They love sitting on big leaves, swimming through soft plants like cabomba (however you spell it). I adore this plant so much as it's so pretty but my little babies love pulling it up. I'm still yet to find how to keep the plants alive. My Anubis and "sword" plant have lasted months without decaying, however some plants haven't quite worked for me even though they are " low light cold water " and I'm very hesitant to put in fertilizers as I've heard they're toxic to axolotls... I think it's just trial and error.. Just remember to quarantine the plants to prevent nasties coming in and hurting your axolotls.

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
Wouldn't this look awesome with some axies climbing the steps? would it even work?

Attachments

• 3680.jpg
    3680.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 13,836

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I imagine that something like that would do fine with axolotls. Obviously it would need enough space for hides and whatnot, but I think that would make an awesome axolotl tank.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Two plants I would recomend are elodea and hornwort, both do well in axolotl tanks . They are resistant to damage and can be left free floating to stop the axolotls digging them up. Both do well in lowish light levels but if you give them additional tank lighting they thrive, you will end up composting lots lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!