Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pond Plants?

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I've recently been thinking of adding some live plants to my tank. A few that I was debating were Water Lilies, Reeds, and Bamboo. Would any of these work? I would very much like to have water lilies in the tank, they're so pretty and I think they would look wonderful. But would the water be too cold for them? I'm not sure how much light they need. And with the reeds, I think they look nice, too, and I know they don't need much light, but I don't know how well those would work out. Can anyone give me some advice?

JoshBA

Reaction score
I think water lilies are a little unsuitable for aquariums mainly because they require really bright, full sunlight. I've always wanted to get water hyacinth, as its a really cool looking floating pond plant, and I've seen it grown in aquariums.

layna

Reaction score
Bamboo will survive in the water for a little while but its not a true aquatic plant, so it will eventually start to rot.
When your looking around, look for 'true aquatic' or go to pond plant section.
some good plants for axie tanks are;
Anubias (most types)
java moss (most mosses actually)
java fern
marimo moss balls
elodea
african elodea
Hornwort
Narrow Chain Sword
Riccia
Hair grass

auntiejude

Reaction score
I wouldn't use pond plants - they generally need more soil/substrate and light that you can provide in an axie tank.

Layna's list is a great resource, I have plain weed, moss balls and ferns.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Both elodea and hornwort do well unplanted in axolotl tanks, they are also resistant to damage. When an axolotl breaks them they just carry on growing and help clear the nitrates up.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll start off with moss balls and maybe upgrade from there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1