SariYappa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
~Sari
Hi.
I just got my tank (second hand) and I'm so excited :D

This is the first fill... I washed and rinsed it really well with vinegar and water 2 days ago... Put it on a foam matt (camping matt.) cut to size, and filled it today.
image.jpg

Once filled, I was admiring it, and noticed a blue spot on the bottom of the tank... Maybe the mirror finish was missing on the bottom :confused:

So hubby tried sliding a skinny pointy object between the matt and the tank, thinking it may give the water (if that's what it is) a way out... 20 minutes later it looks like this

So... There can only be 2 possible explanations:
1. There was some moisture left on the bottom after I washed it, that I missed between drying and setting the aquarium up on the mat
2. There is a leak in the aquarium... The only reason I am leaning towards #1 is that how is it possible to just leak in middle of a thick piece of glass (not near a seam)? Without having it someplace near the edge? Hmm... Very peculiar

And, IF it is #1, will this create a weak spot, and the foam underneath is now useless? Could my tank now shatter because of the 'drip'??

Ughh :blush:

Oops, that was supposed to say WATER or air bubble :p

Here it is after fiddling around, shaking the tank, it's been about 35 minutes now...
There shows a little condensation in another back area, but no other 'drips'
image.jpg

It looks like when water is trapped between two sheets of glass ... Very odd.

I know, right? :confused:

If this is normal, then great...
I'm thinking of starting over (65 gallons :( ) but what if this is just the way it will be again, and just has to work its way out? That will not make me happy...

Anyone have a similar experience?

Many have read my post, but had no input/experience, so I thought I would update. Just in case somebody has this problem in the future...

I emptied the tank, and lifted it to find a lonely, "trapped" drop of water. I expect it would not have gone away anytime soon by itself. It was under the tank, and above the Matt. I have no doubt it was leftover from cleaning the tank with a hose. :eek:

Once we wiped it dry with a paper towel, re-positioned the tank so we can stand a filter and/or chiller next to it, and filled it up again, it's perfect. :D

image.jpg

I really did not want to find out the hard way, if this 'drip' could have made a difference in my aquarium's stability (shattered tank?) :errr:

Now back to cycling...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back