DIY Hide Project... Safe?

SariYappa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
~Sari
Hello.

After much research, I am starting my first DIY project, a PVC and rock hide. I plan to cover the whole top with rocks using safe, clear 100% silicone, and waiting a week before I submerge it in the tank.

The only thing I'm not completely confident about is the rocks... I don't know how to identify them, and they came in bags at the dollar store.

image.jpg

Anyone know of these are acceptable?

Any rocks that I have used in the past I have boiled in an old saucepan several times before using them in a tank. Never had a problem with them!
:smile:

Awesome :happy:

I soaked then in vinegar and water... But boiling is probably a better idea, Thank You :p

Mine all have caves made of stones siliconed together - i boiled them up in a pan for a while which got them nice and clean.

I suggest regularly checking no stones are coming loose. A year on and some of mine are wobbling a bit. Makes me worry for the tank... :S

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back