Question: Is this little one safe with the others?

MochiGuu

Reaction score
Country
Israel
So I bought a pinkie and 2 wild types today :D Put them with the ones I got last time. But pinkie is a lot tinier than the others, do you think he's safe at this size?

Attachments

• _MG_7491.jpg
    _MG_7491.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 217
How big is your tank? 7 axolotl will need over 300L/80 USgal - thats a huge tank!

Ideally all axies in the same tank should be about the same size. Assuming you have the space you could keep them all together if you have a good number of hides (at least 7 if not more) and ensure they are well fed, but there is a the risk of them snapping at each other - and a smaller one will always come of worse.

They're still small (the big ones are around 15 cm), on 288 liters, 160 centimeters. There are lots of hideouts but pinkie is very active and likes to be out at the front.

They're usually a bit nippy and such when they're 3-4", and sometimes even cannibalistic if not fed enough. That being said, you need to keep a close eye on them, and make sure you're able to separate them if need be. Axolotls are social creatures, so most of the time they're content being around others, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about as long as they all get fed enough and have enough space to themselves.

They're usually a bit nippy and such when they're 3-4", and sometimes even cannibalistic if not fed enough. That being said, you need to keep a close eye on them, and make sure you're able to separate them if need be. Axolotls are social creatures, so most of the time they're content being around others, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about as long as they all get fed enough and have enough space to themselves.

If in doubt dont keep them together. If the small axolotl is less than 75% smaller than the others its probably best to keep it separate. To clarify the above statement axolotls can be nippy for more than 3"-4", they are trying to grow fast so seem to be permanently hungry till a larger size lol. They are cannibalistic through out their lives and not just in the early stages, the phrase "cannibal phase" is inaccurate. Axolotls are not "social creatures", they do not suffer from being kept alone, yours will be fine on its own till it catches up with the others.

They're social in the sense that they do fine with other axolotls in the same tank together. I never said they should never be kept alone. And yes, I realize that axolotls can be cannibalistic throughout their lives, it's just a bit more common in smaller juveniles than in adults.

They're social in the sense that they do fine with other axolotls in the same tank together.

Yes, I appreciate that but the phrase "social creature/animal " actually refers to an animal which will suffer psychological stress if kept alone, it should not be used to refer to axolotls who may appear to be "sociable" . The two phrases have very different meanings. Hope that helps.

I think there is too big a size disparity for safety here. I would split off the smallest or possibly the two smallest together.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back