Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tong feeding?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I am currently tong feeding my tiger dusted and gutloaded crickets and chopped earthworms.

I was wondering if since I am tong feeding I could try offering her pellets.

ron1fritsch

Reaction score
Elliriyanna: Earthworms are the best staple food for salamanders.
Yearly: I feed my collection 75% worms, 20% crickets and 5% feeder fish (no gold fish!) from time to time.

My sals are 2-12 years old and all are doing well. Yours looks great !

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
yeah thats the main staple for all of mine. it ends up being 67% earthworms and 33% crickets.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
If kept 100% aquatic, they will take pellets (I kept yours that way until the day I shipped them). However I don't think they'll take them when the tigers are on land. I feed my adults waxworms and pinkie mice but I only feed 2-3 times per month, if that. I don't recommend pinkies. I only feed pinkies because they are quick and easy and I am too lazy to feed other foods more regularly. A pinkie can sustain an adult tiger for weeks. None of my animals are obese (unlike me!). For raising juveniles on land I use nightcrawlers and the occasional few waxworms. I feed them every 2-3 days. I hope you're enjoying your new friends.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
as a rat owner I can't get past it to feed mammals to my tiger. But I do have plenty of time currently and when I am feeling lazy I just gutload some crickets and let them go lol. I have a terrestrial set up.

So far I am loving my pair :)

Niels D

Reaction score
As my diaboli's and mavortiums hate any kind of worm I feed them Dubia roaches from my culture, wax worms and some garden "snacks" like snails, slugs and different kinds of spiders and crickets. I've got a biological garden which is situated on the edge of a National Park.

Devalight

Reaction score
If kept 100% aquatic, they will take pellets (I kept yours that way until the day I shipped them). However I don't think they'll take them when the tigers are on land. I feed my adults waxworms and pinkie mice but I only feed 2-3 times per month, if that. I don't recommend pinkies. I only feed pinkies because they are quick and easy and I am too lazy to feed other foods more regularly. A pinkie can sustain an adult tiger for weeks. None of my animals are obese (unlike me!). For raising juveniles on land I use nightcrawlers and the occasional few waxworms. I feed them every 2-3 days. I hope you're enjoying your new friends.

I have had a tiger for 3 years and the only thing he would reliably eat is crickets. I gave him earthworms in the past but I have never observed him eating one, and weeks or months later I find the worms still alive in the tank. The crickets he will actively pursue and eat. I dust them periodically with vitamins/calcium. Today, I am happy to say, my tiger took a pinkie from tongs! I know they are too fatty as a regular thing, but I am happy to see this, since now at least there is one other food I can give my guy for some variety. Waxworms I have yet to find here where I live - where I find them for sale, they are already dead in the container.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I have had a tiger for 3 years and the only thing he would reliably eat is crickets. I gave him earthworms in the past but I have never observed him eating one, and weeks or months later I find the worms still alive in the tank. The crickets he will actively pursue and eat. I dust them periodically with vitamins/calcium. Today, I am happy to say, my tiger took a pinkie from tongs! I know they are too fatty as a regular thing, but I am happy to see this, since now at least there is one other food I can give my guy for some variety. Waxworms I have yet to find here where I live - where I find them for sale, they are already dead in the container.

Please put your pinkies to sleep before feeding if you insist on feeding them to a salamander.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!