Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Ann Arbor!

yonykins

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a third year undergraduate student at the University of Michigan.
I'm currently leaving in a tiny little room in a boarding house with my axolotl Leviathan (Levi for short).

Long story time!

Being a college student is not ideal for owning any sort of pet, and when I first saw an axolotl in a pet store, I desperately wanted to have an adorable new friend, but I thought it best to wait until I had a stable life.

So around ten years from now...

I'll give you fair warning, this story is may make you somewhat angry...

Enter my sister! I was out to dinner with my family when my sister abruptly said, "it's too bad you didn't want that axolotl..."

Of course I wanted an axolotl! How could you not!

Apparently, her boyfriend's twin siblings, a boy and a girl, ten years old, had gotten two axolotls for their birthday. One male, a wild type named Oscar, and one female, who I think was a golden albino, but I'm not sure.

Apparently the male, Oscar, was being aggressive towards the female, Bella. They had wanted me to take Oscar so they could keep Bella, but instead separated the tank after she had lost an arm.

Unfortunately, one day they found her dead on Oscar's side of the tank. Poor girl!

Several weeks later, I received a text from my sister asking if I still wanted an axolotl. I immediately called her back and we arranged for me to pick him up that Friday.

Poor Oscar, (who I decided to rename, I'm sure he doesn't mind) was being kept in filthy water. It -reeked-. There was no filter and the water hadn't been changed in who knows how long. They decided to give him up after they discovered that neither of the twins had been feeding him. I'm not sure exactly how long he went without a water change or food. They said he ate an inch and a half of worm every other day, but when I took him home he was eating a full worm and then half another worm... He's slowed down to eating around one large worm a day. Maybe he was just making up for lost food, and now he's back to normal.

Here he is after a week of being under my care

yonykins-albums-leviathan-picture30581-axxie.jpg

As you can see, he has little stubby toes! I think the other axolotl nipped at him quite a bit as well. What concerns me is that they haven't grown back! But that's for another post.

I've moved him to Ann Arbor now that's it's cooler, and I'm in the process of cleaning the sand that I mistakenly thought had been cleaned enough. It's been a tough going.

I'd like to give Leviathan the best quality care I can. I fell in love with him the second I laid eyes on him. I dream of having him for years. I'll probably be mostly lurking, trying to pick up information here and there.

Kudos to whoever read the whole post! See you around!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1