Hello! Alec from Utah, USA

aleceast13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey! I am a proud owner of two beautiful GFP axolotls, one leucistic (Klaas) and one wildtype (Scooby). They are about 8 months old and I am breeding them now. They actually just laid eggs! :D I love these animals they're amazing and I hope to learn more about how to care even more for them on here as well as post pictures of my lovely new babies and their parents!

Hello and welcome :)

Don't mean to be a downer, but 8months old is much to young an age to breed lotls. Its extremely stressful and hard on the female and can severely shorten her life. I would separate them if I was you to prevent them breeding so young. Although, to be honest, I am rather surprised they have bred so young. Are you sure they are only 8 months??

I have two which have been together since six months old. My boy is now 1 year and 1 month and my girl is 1 year. They haven't tried to breed yet and I doubt they will till next season at which point they will be old enough and I will allow it. If my boy starts to lay spermatophores they will be separated instantly (I want to avoid this as they really pout when they get separated lol)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back