Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Disinfect driftwood + new setup

Quentari

Reaction score
So I currently have one axolotl, a 2ft tank, a 3ft tank and a 4ft tank. I took my 3ft out of storage and have set it up in my living room (I'll post pics once it's finished filling), I'm storing my 4ft till we move and we're not sure what we're doing with the 2ft (thinking of shrimp or guppy breeder or maybe something with a betta).

Anyway my 4ft needed some MAJOR disinfecting, I used a vinegar/water mix on everything before rinsing it all in boiling water, the only thing I haven't disinfected yet is my two small bits of driftwood. They have this plant attached to it, so I don't think boiling it is a good option.

Any advice on making it safe for axies? I don't know for sure what was in the origional tank that killed the axies, possibly something bacterial, but I want to make sure it's 100% safe for my one remaining baby before he gets exposed to it. Should I quarantine it? rinse? I'd preferably like to not kill the plant but if it can't be helped then it can't be helped.

auntiejude

Reaction score
If it was in the tank where all your axies perished then I would chuck it out and not take the risk.

If you're sure it wasn't, leave it in a bucket for a month an monitor it for signs of bacteria or fungus - there is no way to 'sterilise' a living plant.

But if I were in your position I wouldn't be taking any chances.

Quentari

Reaction score
If it was in the tank where all your axies perished then I would chuck it out and not take the risk.

If you're sure it wasn't, leave it in a bucket for a month an monitor it for signs of bacteria or fungus - there is no way to 'sterilise' a living plant.

But if I were in your position I wouldn't be taking any chances.

No it was definitely in there. Ah well... Away it goes!

Quentari

Reaction score
Houdini in his 3ft setup! The 10gal he was in is going to house some guppies and shrimp plus two little snails. The guppies will hopefully breed and be a nice source of food :)

Oh and I know it's very bare, I have some fake plants on order, should arrive Monday, and the light is only temporary for pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 235

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
It looks like a pretty neat setup, even if it is a little bare. c:

I'm sure it's fine, but just curious, the teeth on that skull are dulled down, right? Wouldn't want Houdini to get a scratch from it.

Quentari

Reaction score
It looks like a pretty neat setup, even if it is a little bare. c:

I'm sure it's fine, but just curious, the teeth on that skull are dulled down, right? Wouldn't want Houdini to get a scratch from it.

Nah I filed them softer after another axie nicked their tail on it :) nice and safe :) they'd literally have to push themselves down to hurt themself, and it'd be a bruise not a cut :)

Got like 6 fake plants on the way! Ill probably post something in the pictures section once it's all nice looking.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1