Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing my axolotls!

Lexolotl

Reaction score
My axolotls are now almost a year old. They seem to be around 7 inches or so. I have pictures of them in my photo albums that I took in August.

Please let me know if I need to take more "obvious" photos and I will gladly do so. They both look very similar "bottom half" wise.

I really appreciate it!

Quentari

Reaction score
from the looks of the pictures I found they look too young to sex, according to your albums the most recent pic was in July (unless I didn't find the correct pic?)

auntiejude

Reaction score
7" is really not big enough to ascertain gender. 7" seems a bit small for a year - are you sure of their age? Pet shops can get their birthdays wrong...

Mine didn't 'show' their sex until they were well over 8", just over a year old (I think)

Possum63

Reaction score
Hello!

They are fairly young to sex and especially since they aren't exactly showing any signs "down there" lol. BUT your mel I'm about fairly sure is a little boy. Your other I think could be a girl. Can you take photos of each from above? I have mastered the art from sexing from the head shape lol:D

Lexolotl

Reaction score
I purchased them from a fellow member from this site. I received them last November when they were around three inches long. I'm guessing on the length because I haven't held a ruler up to them or anything. lol

I will take a picture of them from the top and post it here tomorrow. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1