Help with feeding babies! Eggs!

dlev878

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hello,

In my country we are having a crazy shortage of Daphnia and Brine Shrimp.

I read that you can feed axolotl babies eggs. I have two lots atm, one which is about 4 weeks old and some freshly hatched babies.

Do you think eggs are a good way to feed them all?

Hello!

I'm in need of daphnia too - there is a couple cultures on trademe though but I think $25 for one starter culture is kinda a lot to pay.... And I tried so hard to hatch BBS and it didn't work at all. Complete waste of time and money...

Anyway I have currently unhatched and babies about a week and a half old. They are feed on microworms - and microworms are super super easy to culture!

What do you mean by eggs though?

I have read that you can boil an egg and use the yolk inside to feed them. Seems to have kept my baby axis alive for 2 weeks.

Do the microworms work for the freshly hatched ones?

Yes they do. My guys have only been on microworms and the one small hatch of bbs. The mircoworms actually work really well but I still want to source daphnia just to get variety :)

Very fascinating about the egg thing though, I've never heard of that. I'm surprised it works since it isn't live food!

I raised baby Betta fish before and used boiled eggs I was wondering if the axies would eat it. So you have had success with it??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back