Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Two 10cm Juvies in a cycled 2 foot tank?

elim

Reaction score
At the moment I'm keeping my two 10cm Juvies (2 and a half months old, so long but not very big) in two separate plastic aquariums and changing 100% of the water every day.

I'm wanting to put them into a cycled 2 foot tank, but I'm unsure if they're going to produce enough waste to keep the cycle going. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I just wait until they're a little older? Thanks :)

Possum63

Reaction score
They will be fine in there and will be enough to keep the cycle going :) The person my youngest (well except for all my babies) came from had my boy and his brother in a two foot. They were only about 7cm at the time and they kept it cycled no troubles at all :)

elim

Reaction score
Awesome! That's great news, thanks :) I'm sure they'll love the extra space.

Quentari

Reaction score
Yeah you shouldn't have any trouble with that. I'd actually be more worried that they'll produce too much waste! but at that size it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Your cycle will adjust to the waste in the tank - if there is more waste to feed the good bacteria they will multiply, less waste and they will die off, all the time keeping the exact level needed for the tank to stay healthy.
Isn't biology wnderful?!

elim

Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for the help guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!