Newts and fish and feeding?

Reptileguy123

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know newts eats fish, but is it the way to go to feeding them? To me its cool to see the newt chase around the fish,but is it worth it cleaning wise epesciallly with no filter? If I do feed my newts Chinese and fire bellied newts(don't have them yet) what type of fish? and what type of fish will the newts not eat?

This is not a good idea. Fish are not natural prey for CFBN. They can carry parasites and disease, and the newts are not equipped to catch a fish and probably never will. The fish will quickly foul an unfiltered set up as well. Stick to the worms!

Most newts actively avoid fish let alone eat them. Very few species are specialized in catching fish and Hypselotriton orientalis is most definitely not one of them. They won´t be able to catch fish at all and are likely to be stressed by the chemical pressence of fish which can cause the animals to leave the water.

If you like active hunters, then salamanders aren't the best choice. Though it's nice to see them struggle with large worms (repost, but I like this picture soo much...):

No problem, and since you say you don´t have the newts yet, let me tell you a precautionary tale. All pet-shop newts are wild-caught and imported in terrible conditions. The ones that survive are extremely stressed. At best they usually go terrestrial and refuse feeding for a while, at worst, but sadly, frenquently, they develop severe infections that destroy tissues.
If you want an ethical source of healthy animal, go for captive bred animals directly from the breeder. You will get healthy, already accostumed to captivity animals, with no repercussions to wild populations.

A paddletail or axolotl might be able to catch a fish, though you shouldn't be feeding them fish either way. Just enjoy them slurping down an impossibly large worm instead :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back