Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sexing chart?

emmyk

Reaction score
Okay, other than the boy bump (which I'm still waiting on;;;)) does anyone have a side by side comparison it birds eye view comparison? turns out Stanley might be a girl, but he's still pretty young, 5-6 months, but he matured quickly, he's about 8 inches. So who knows. Anyways, just asking for advice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Possum63

Reaction score
The "boy bump" is the biggest give away sign. But you can also tell by head shapes. Boys have longer narrower heads - girls are broader and rounder :)

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
The "boy bump" is the biggest give away sign. But you can also tell by head shapes. Boys have longer narrower heads - girls are broader and rounder :)

Girls also tend to be a bit rounder in the stomach, as a standard. It's not really a reliable method for sexing an axolotl, though. Since that "egg bulge" might just end up being the axolotl equivalent of a beer gut.

auntiejude

Reaction score
All axies are different, but in general boys are 'barrel' shaped and have narrower heads, girls are 'pear-shaped' and have wider heads. But the bump is the most reliable sign (or the depositing of spermatophores or eggs!)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1