My tank isn't cycling :(

monarchcmj

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 20 gallon tank that I've been trying to cycle for weeks!
I'm running a sponge filter (rated for up to 40 gallons), and I added small amounts of frozen brine shrimp to the tank in order to create ammonia buildup. I got the ammonia level up and have been waiting (and waiting, and waiting...) for the ammonia level to drop, but it's just staying the same. No change at all.
The sponge filter doesn't seem to move the water very much.
I have two axies in a 10 gallon tank right now and I *really* want to get them into the 20 gallon!
What am I doing wrong?!

A whole list of questions:
1. Have you got any readings for Nitrite and Nitrate?
2. Are you sure the filter and pump are working properly?
3. How long have you been 'waiting'?
4. What dechlorinator are you using?
5. Have you added anythig other than the frozen brine shrimp?
6. What is the exact rating for the filter/pump you have in terms of L or Gal per hour?

It might be worth adding some instant start bacteria - you can buy it in liquid or pearl form at most aquarium/pet shops.

It could be that you haven't got enough plants that have "settled in" yet or not enough plants in total. It can take some time before live plants start doing their trick after they've been put in a new setup. I never raise the ammonia buildup myself that way. When I start a new tank I use not only old tank water, but also some substrate out of an already running aquarium. Using the frozen brineshrimp may have been too much for the ammonia buildup.

A whole list of questions:
1. Have you got any readings for Nitrite and Nitrate?
2. Are you sure the filter and pump are working properly?
3. How long have you been 'waiting'?
4. What dechlorinator are you using?
5. Have you added anythig other than the frozen brine shrimp?
6. What is the exact rating for the filter/pump you have in terms of L or Gal per hour?

It might be worth adding some instant start bacteria - you can buy it in liquid or pearl form at most aquarium/pet shops.

1)Nitrite is between 2.0 and 4.0, nitrates are at 5.0
2) I followed the directions, so I believe the filter is set up and running correctly.
3)I started cycling the tank at least 3 weeks ago.
4) I am not using a dechlorinator-- we are on well water, not city water.
5)No, I haven't added anything else. Just the shrimp.

6)Nowhere on the packaging or on the website does it say the rating as far as gallons per hour. The filter I have is: Deep Blue Professional ProSponge System 30 BioFilter u/t 40gal.

OK, so if you have Nitrites and Nitrates your tank IS cycling, it's just not there yet. Three weeks isn't very long, it can take a couple of months to settle down.

One more question - does your filter have a pump? The instructions online say 'air driven' but there doesn't appear to be a pump, and I'm assuming it attaches to your air bubbler pump?

If you can pilfer an ornament or some substrate from a healthy tank to boost your bacteria it would help, if not as I said before the instant start bacteria could speed things up for you. And transferrring some axie poop might help too - if you're not feeding your bacteria they will die off so you need a fresh source of ammonia on a regular basis.

Hang in there - it is working, it's just being slow....

The filter is hooked to an airstone pump, yes. Are there other types of sponge filters? Mine really just doesn't seem to be moving the water much at all.

OK, so if you have Nitrites and Nitrates your tank IS cycling, it's just not there yet. Three weeks isn't very long, it can take a couple of months to settle down.

One more question - does your filter have a pump? The instructions online say 'air driven' but there doesn't appear to be a pump, and I'm assuming it attaches to your air bubbler pump?

If you can pilfer an ornament or some substrate from a healthy tank to boost your bacteria it would help, if not as I said before the instant start bacteria could speed things up for you. And transferrring some axie poop might help too - if you're not feeding your bacteria they will die off so you need a fresh source of ammonia on a regular basis.

Hang in there - it is working, it's just being slow....

A sponge filter is fine but there are other types of filters too, with a sponge filter you put the air pump tube inside the filter and it aerates the water and cleans it at the same time but it doesnt do any chemical filtration.

I would have a look into an internal filter to add into your tank too just to help with water quality and to make it easier for you :p
Because you say the water isnt really moving it sounds like your air pump might not be a strong one and isnt pulling the water to the top of the filter enough, do you have a picture? :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back