Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Austria

Wafthrudnir

Reaction score
Hello Everybody!
I am very happy to join the Caudata community here, as news and salamanders have always fascinated me! Just a few words about myself:
I have studied botany and I am now working in the field of plant ecology at the University of Vienna, with a special focus on the ecology of habitats affected by mining.
Since I saw my first Salamandra salamandra as a child, I have a strong interest in Caudata. For many years, I have been keeping Cynops pyrrhogaster and Ambystoma mexicanum at home (and also Bombina orientalis and B. variegata, though these are of course frogs).
Furthermore, I love to search and observe our native terrestrial salamanders (S. salamandra and S. alpine) in the field, and sometimes I am able to contribute to the recent mapping activities (http://alpensalamander.eu/blog/) that aim to study the differences in habitat preference in these two species.
Only recently, I was able to combine my professional interest in mine waste habitats and my private interest in amphibians, when I found that some highly contaminated habitats still host remarkable numbers of amphibians - a fact so far unknown.

MacEwenS

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a new member, too!

My name is Susan and I live in Ontario, Canada in an area that is very rich in many minerals including the largest deposit of nickel on earth.

As you imagine, our water is hard.

I keep Chinese fire-belly newts and wonder if the hardness of my water is too hard or not. The reading I get for GH is120 ppm (mg/L). I can reduce that considerably if I filter the water through a charcoal Brita filter. Then I get a reading of 60ppm (mg/L). I have tried with no success to find out what the hardness of the native water for these newts would be. I hesitate to make any changes to the water quality as my newts, so far, appear to be thriving.

Any ideas you could share?

Thanks, Susan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1