Axie decor question/tank swap

keiferlou

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking of swapping out my 2 axies and my FW fish. Axies are currently in a 20 gallon long and fish are in a 55 gallon. If I decide to go ahead with the "house swap", the gravel will obviously be removed before axies move in the 55. There are 2 decor pieces I'm definitely keeping for the axies, shown in first 2 pics and 2 that I question, in the final 2 pics. The log deal and the dragon bubbler (not the coral behind it) will stay as they'll love to hide in the log and Beans loves bubbles so the dragon will be a hit with him/her! Nothing sharp on either that I've noticed but will go over again. The other 2 things though - the coliseum also doesn't have any sharp points and I think they'll enjoy playing in it but the openings between the "columns" concern me a little. Actually, after just looking at it again, I answered my own question haha! My finger doesn't even fit through those openings so I'm pretty sure my fat axies can't fit. Ok so, nevermind on the coliseum. It can stay.

Now the big coral piece in the last picture. That is the main one I worry about. There aren't any sharp areas but I'll check again if deemed safe. What concerns me is how the coral pieces meet the main rock. There are some pretty fair sized gap (1" or so) and I actually lost my dragon scale betta when he wedged himself into one of those gaps :( He was always doing that on this deal and wasn't able to get out that last time. That said, he was small and even Beans, who is the smaller of my axies, is about the size of 3 of him. That's my only concern. The gaps are decent sized but looking at them and my axies who measure 6 1/2" and 7" (last measured almost a month ago) look too big to wedge in there. So my question is this - anyone used something like this? Does it seem safe to leave in there for them? I'd like to be able to leave it because there are so many hidey holes to swim through and play in but I wanted some opinions of other, more experienced axie parents.

Leave it? Take it out? Suggestions on making it safer? It likely won't stay permanently if at all because I get bored and change up the tanks periodically.

I included a shot of the back of it as well. Thanks :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1380717346042.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380717346042.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 358
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380717358898.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380717358898.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 700
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380717370759.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380717370759.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 308
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380717383710.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380717383710.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 344
  • uploadfromtaptalk1380718372910.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1380718372910.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 346
I assume the 'coral' is plastic and polystone/resin? It should be fine, just make sure there are no sharp edges.

My fattest axie (9" long / 2" wide!) can squeeze through a gap that is much smaller than she is - I couldn't believe it when I saw her wriggle through! So they can squish with a bit of effort when they want to.

In my opinion, if there's any concern that they might be able to get stuck in any of those openings then I would take it out.

The only one that I would put in my tank, personally, would be the dragon. And I wouldn't turn on the bubbles.

In my opinion, if there's any concern that they might be able to get stuck in any of those openings then I would take it out.

The only one that I would put in my tank, personally, would be the dragon. And I wouldn't turn on the bubbles.

Why would you not turn on the bubbles?

I assume the 'coral' is plastic and polystone/resin? It should be fine, just make sure there are no sharp edges.

My fattest axie (9" long / 2" wide!) can squeeze through a gap that is much smaller than she is - I couldn't believe it when I saw her wriggle through! So they can squish with a bit of effort when they want to.

I believe it is. I may end up taking it out because it just doesn't look like it fits with them but then again, the dollar store oil warmer hides they have now aren't exactly found in their natural habitat either :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back