Bedding

tekishi13

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 5 tiger salamanders 2 of them are babies I just fond them outside. Also they are in a different tank from the three oldest. I usually just buy moss from Petco but I moved to the country and there isn't a Petco out here. I was wondering is there something I can find outside to use. Winter is coming here in Minnesota so I won't be able to change there moss during the winter. Does anyone know what is best to use and what keeps for a long time?

Re: Beding

Ground coconut fiber or packaged top soil with no fertilizers or pesticides added are usually the best. At least 5in deep of soil is needed as they are a burrowing species. The moss you are using is unsuitable because its ph is too low. Using soil from outside can be risky because you really don't know what will be in it (chemicals, pesticides, parasites, etc). If you don't live near agriculture it could be okay ( although chytrid fungus from other amphibians is a big risk). You could order coconut fiber online (New England Herpetoculture has excellent prices). I also live out of town and that's what I usually do.

Do you know any other places that sell the soil, also thanks for telling me. I live less then a mile from farm land so I think dirt from outside is out of the question. Also one of my family members told me they treat their garden so I'm sure the chemicals are in the dirt.

I would think any home improvement store/ garden store like lowes or home depot would carry packaged top soil. Stores like that may sell coconut fiber, but it would likely be the cheaper quality, which is high in salt. Just aim for topsoil (ideally organic) without any added plant nutrients, and not potting soil. Even if it is organic, the potting soil will always contain high amounts of nitrogen that are meant for growing plants, and would be harmful to salamanders in a terrestrial setup. Also avoid any soil that contains peat, which is too acidic for salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back