Safe & Unsafe Metals?

SariYappa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
~Sari
Hello Peeps :D

I am currently working on a chiller project with my husband, for our new Axolotl juvie coming on Friday (YAY!)

We are using an office water chiller. I intend to do a post about what we did if and when it is successful...

At the moment the only part exposed to the chilled water is tubing from the filter.

Here is my question:
Is there a Safe and Unsafe list of metals for Axolotls? Currently we are using plastic tubing in the water resovoir, but I am having ideas of running a coil in the cooler part... Copper? Some metal that keeps the cold longer... But won't affect my water quality.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated :happy:

Any metal used in a conventional cooler system should be non-reactive and safe for a chiller. Copper should be fine, as will stainless steel.

I would stick to plastic if you can though - safer and cheaper to replace if you get a leak.

Any metal used in a conventional cooler system should be non-reactive and safe for a chiller. Copper should be fine, as will stainless steel.

I would stick to plastic if you can though - safer and cheaper to replace if you get a leak.

Copper wouldn't be safe. Copper will leech into the water and it's toxic to inverts, and most fish don't handle copper well at all.

Copper wouldn't be safe. Copper will leech into the water and it's toxic to inverts, and most fish don't handle copper well at all.

Copper is used in almost all domestic piping, it only leaches into water if the pH drops.
There is no more risk using copper in a cooling unit than using tapwater from copper pipes.

Thanks for the reply...

I am keeping all the plastic tubing except the small portion that sits in the cooler... Thus taking full advantage of the cooling system and saving some energy. (The issue is that I'm not actually using the water from the cooler in the aquarium, just the cooling affect through the tubing... I need a couple more degrees than what it's kicking out at the moment).

Connectors are my friend :p

Ok, you guys posted again while Iwas replying :D

I seem to remember seeing something about copper on another thread as well...
Anyone know of a safe list of metals already put together? I want a good conductor that is hollow (like a pipe) so it can be connected between 2 plastic parts of hose.

I will do some more research on the copper...

Copper doesn't 'normally' leach anything into the water. If you're not 100% comfortable using it, stainless steel is a more 'stable' option, if a bit more expensive.

I seem to remember seeing something about copper on another thread as well...
There was a thread on medications, some of them contain copper salts, that may be what you're thinking of.

Hey Sari
This Trace. NO on the copper. Only if the pipe is 10 plus years old and has been used a lot. I still wouldn't use it. How do I know? I am into Aquaculture. I raise feeder fish, bait fish, leeches, frogs, salamanders. I have 11 man made ponds. Tanks. Hauling tanks on trucks. Pumps. Miles and miles of water line. The number "ONE" rule in this business is no COPPER!!! Plastic is easier to plumb than copper. (and cheaper). Why wouldn't you use plastic then? Call me if you have any questions.:happy:
Trace
P.S. oh.....did I mention NO COPPER?:mad:

I think the reason she wants to use a metal more than a plastic pipe is because metals tend to get colder than plastics. Since she's using it as a make-shift chiller for her tank, she wants the water coming back into the tank to be nice and cold.

That's right Rhiannon :p

Trace, no copper then? Hahahaha! I get the message, no copper :D

I will post what we are doing soon, with pics ;)
This way we can collectively look at the situation... But at least we are currently maintaining whatever temperature we get the water to, which currently is just at 70*
(House temperature is at 77*)

Will try for extra 2* tomorrow :)

Thanks for all the help :happy:

Want metal? Stainless. No copper. If she wants it colder then turn down the thermostat.
No copper. Copper-no. :cool:

Aluminum will probably work. As far as I know, it doesn't leach anything. They use it as a packing material for food, after all! It should work just fine, the only problem is it's not quite as durable as stainless steel, but it is a fair amount cheaper.

Copper

Copper is a very common component of potable water plumbing systems. Copper also exists in some well water supplies. It dissolves in many acids and forms chemical complexes with ammonia in water. Copper is also very toxic to many aquatic organisms. When water is allowed to stand in copper piping for any length of time (i.e., overnight), some of the copper will dissolve. When the water is then used in an amphibian enclosure, copper is added to the system, which may have detrimental effects on the inhabitants. Thus, it is essential to flush this static water before using the water. Studies with R. pipiens have shown that concentrations as low as 0.15 mg/L will kill 50% of newly hatched tadpoles in 72 hours (Lande and Guttman 1973).
Chlorine as Cl2 and Chloramines

Ok... So we fixed our problem by using the bin from our ice-cream maker :p
We drilled an "in" and "out" hole for the additional tubing. This is pet and people safe...

We just sat the bin inside the bin to the water chiller, and connected it directly to the eheim filter :D

I'm not going to mention the flood we had the other night after sealing it with silicone, so we will just ignore that part of the experiment! :eek:

How is silicone an issue? It's the stuff used to keep tanks together, after all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back