SariYappa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
~Sari
OMG, O M G!
My very first axolotl arrived at the post office this morning, 5:13am :D
I have to wait till at least 9:30am, when the USPS opens, and i can't stand it another minute :p

She(?) is a juvie, about 4-5" long. I want to make her as comfortable, and stress free as possible. So...
She has been traveling for 2 days, and hasn't eaten in several days either...

I'm thinking I should start her off in a tub of clean, declorinated water before adding her to her new tank/home. Offering her food (cut up earthworms) and then introducing her to the tank by this evening... Am I overthinking this?

After all my research, I believe I have "New Mommy Syndrome" :lol:

Breathe Sari... Just breathe! :p

:D
She'll want space if she's been travelling - put her in the tank after equalising the temperatures. But don't be surprised if she won't eat - she may be too stressed for a day or 2.
(it's funny - I'm reading this whilst having lunch, and you're waiting for the office to open at 9.30! I forget about time differences!)

Shoe us a photo when you get the chance to calm down ! :rofl:

So one of you just had lunch, one is up at some godly hour in the morning, I just got home from a night out. I love the time differences!

Haha, time is relative :p

She's home. She ate 3 good size snips of an earth worm (her first time, she's been on blackworms till now).

She's in the tank which was already at the lower temp, and I tested the water first...

She already loves me ;)

Wanna see??? :D

image.jpg

Her little back legs are starting to float... Did she eat too much:confused:

image.jpg

I think I'm just a worried Mommy. She is swimming around a little, and she came up for a gulp of air... So I added a bubble wall on one side for oxygen :)

Legs up and floaty-bum-syndrome usually mean a poop is imminent....

But she's a cutie! Does she have a name yet?

Yes, poop! :p

I am a lucky axie owner... She already ate twice today, and she pooped! :D

She loves her new diet of earthworms :happy:
(No name yet, but she has this little red squiggle on her top fin... Squiggles?)

image.jpg

And may I just say, this rocks!! :grin:

Yes for Squiggles!

Yes for Squiggles!
Yeah, if my hubby didn't have a say, but he doesn't like it... We are contemplating these names so far, although nothing sticks so far ( there are 3 of us that has to agree) :p

Vanilla
Sprite
Squiggy
Corona
Snapper
Chupacabra (lol)
Salsa
Queso

It may take a while!
But the next one will be easy, still have to pick out "Pickle" :D

She is full now. I tried another piece of worm, but she gave me the shrug...
Tomorrow i may have to take a video of her eating ;)

Vanilla is an adorable name! I also like Chupacabra, but that's coming from a girl who named her own 'lotl Cthulhu. ;)

Welcome to the wonderful world of an Axie owning YOU, I just got my new wild type Thursday afternoon, The seller shipped him Weds. Afternoon and I picked him up at the post office Thursdy t 2;00 pm. brought him home got the waters right and put him in his tub and he ate 2 pellets and now he's on worms.......he is awsome looking
my camera got stolen and I just ordred another one and waiting for it to get here and thn you guys are gonna say ok Mama Mia enough pictures for now.....LOL:D

By the way your is a cutie for sure, I still like Pickles.........but for this one I don't know why but Bubbles was the 1st thing that came to my mind when I seen her........

Remember HAVE FUN and don't worry there are so many people on here that WILL help if you need it:happy:

I can't wait to see your pics of your new baby, Mama Mia... What's his name?

We are really veering toward Chupa (Chupacabra).
We will see :rolleyes:

Well, things went a little too well... She must have been really hungry after traveling. Now she sucks up the worm bits, and then spits them out :mad:

I will give her a day or two to adjust :happy:

Thanks for all your help caudata.org!!

I'm excited for you! I had the same feelings when I got my two little scallywags.

If they seemed stressed, just make sure you have a couple of hides for them to chill out in the shade.

Thank you!
Yeah, had a great find today. Got one large and 2 medium terra cotta pots for $2 :happy:
I put the large one as a hide, and the other 2 i put a few inches from eachother, and used them as a stand for a nice size rock...

I really need more live plants and I think she'll be set.

Question: I have 2 plastic plants that when I opened the package they stink... I tried vinegar and water, and hot water (couldn't boil, they would melt). They are just 2 long fake elodea. Can I use them??

Me again. Yes for Chupacabra!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back