Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quick Question About Earthworms!

awesomesauce

Reaction score
I've been trying to mix up my axie's diet, and I want to start feeding him earthworms, since they're ideal. I'm a tad squeamish, so I was wondering, if my axie is 7-8 inches long, is he big enough to feed whole earthworms, or do i still have to cut them up?

Thanks!

Morrison

Reaction score
I always feed them whole ones. Never had a problem.

SariYappa

Reaction score
Yeah, actually your lucky :happy:
I just got my juvie today, and i have to snip them with a scissors :eek:

I'm just ignoring the fact that it happened :eek:

Dominick

Reaction score
Mine are somewhere between 7-8 inches long and most of the time I feed them whole worms (varying in size). Even the really big ones are no problem. They take a bit longer to swallow, but that's about it.

snuggly time

Reaction score
You can sometimes buy smaller worms if your axie isn't able to eat a large one whole.

I started mine off on small ones and now he can eat a large worm without any problems.

auntiejude

Reaction score
My axies take worms longer tha they are! They seem to enjoy the little wrestling match they have trying to get them down too....

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I think the only time it's not a good idea to feed an axolotl whole worms are when they're smaller than 6 inches long. Or if the worms you're feeding are nightcrawlers, those beasties can get pretty big! My 'lotl is 6 inches long now and I still can't feed him whole worms because I feed him with nightcrawlers.

Mama Mia

Reaction score
I always feed my Aztec whole worms, as a matter of fact I just got a new wild type day before yesterday and he ate a few pellets and then I saw him watching me feed Aztec and so I just was going to see if he would take a worm and I found the smallest on about 4 inches long and boy did he ever jump on it.......oh and the new wild is about 4 inches long........:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1