Frantic tiger salamander

salamandergod

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, my eastern tiger salamander has been very frantic for about an hour. He is running around his enclosure and is trying to climb out. Recently he has only been accepting mealworms and nothing else. He is in a ten gallon aquarium and is full grown to about 10.5 inches long. He has also become thiner these last few months and is about as wide around as his head. I have had him for about a year and a half and I haven't encountered any problems like this with him. I'm wondering if this is behavioral or if there is something wrong with him. Sorry if I made any grammatical errors.

I've noticed that mine sometimes change behavior based on sudden changes in the weather outside. I think its largely influenced by the change in barometric pressure, such as during spring rain storms.
You should really try to get it to eat something besides mealworms. They're not very nutritious and their shell is not digested very well. I would keep trying to give the salamander some earthworms at every feeding. Earthworms are considered nutritionally complete, and pose no problem being a staple diet for your salamander.
Your enclosure is also a little small for a salamander of that size.

That makes sense because there was a thunderstorm last night and it's about 10-15 degrees warmer than yesterday but is it normal that he doesn't want to eat anything else. Anyway I will keep trying to give him earthworms.

Some of my tigers don't accept earthworms. I feed them roaches out of my culture and some waxies and beetle larvae now and then.

Yeah roaches make a great alternative to earthworms. I've fed them quite a few times and my salamanders loved them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back