Ideal PH for an axolotl tank?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I hadn't tested my PH for a while so I got out my API High Range PH Testing Kit (liquid) and had a go during my weekly tank change. It turns out it's 8.4!

I couldn't believe it as before it had always been around 7.4, but now I reason that may be because I was using the normal PH Test, which has a maximum value of 7.4. That may explain why I've never picked it up before.

Now, what I want to know is, what is actually considered a good PH for two axolotls in a 27 UK Gallon/123 litre tank? I have read some keepers who recommend a PH of 8 - 8.2, others have suggested a range from 7 - 8.2. I have also read about others who say their axxies thrive in PHs upward of 8.

So is my PH worrying at all, seeing as it's 8.4? I've tested the tap water and it comes in at 8.2 (not really sure what's causing the 0.2 increase in my tank tbh). If it is a concern I'll get some pre-soaked driftwood and add some, if not, cool beans.

Oh, that's a point too: does bogwood have any effect on the tank apart from releasing tannins? I have a large piece of that but no driftwood.

From the research I've done, it seems that axolotls can stand a much higher pH than most other freshwater creatures. In fact, having the pH at a constant 7.0 isn't quite as beneficial for an axolotl's tank as something closer to 8.0 would be. 8.4 is on the high range, though. Mine was up to that much before I added the driftwood, now it's sitting right around 7.8.

Thanks Patch! I was so confused by the ranges and ideals that I wasn't sure how exactly we were doing on that front.
I'll get some presoaked driftwood from my LFS and try to get it down - I'm due another API Test Kit, some Polyfilter and worms anyway.

The only time that a pH 8.4 would be a problem is if you have an ammonia spike - ammonia is more toxic at high pH.

Depending on the type of filter you have, you could also use peat pellets, which are sold as a filter media. The homemade version is to make little baggies of peat moss using nylon stockings, and put this in the filter.

What is the difference between bogwood and driftwood? Both are wood that has been soaked, correct? And both can come from a variety of actual types of trees.

Ammonia is alkaline, nitrate and nitrite are acidic. If your pH is up you have excess ammonia, if your pH is down you have more nitrates and nitrites.

Wood won't bring it back to normal, I'd clean your filter, check for hidden poop and uneaten food, and check your water parameters regularly for a week or 2 - your cycle may have had a hiccup.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I don't think it's excess ammonia Auntiejude, though thanks for your contribution. I cleaned my filter sponges in tank water, cleaned under all the slate and tank glass prior to testing - my ammonia was 0 on the day I tested my PH. I do weekly deep cleans which involve putting the axolotls elsewhere, cleaning as above, and then doing a 50% water change. I also test weekly and record each parameter to look out for anomalies - my ammonia has been 0 for weeks, so I don't think it's that.

OK, do you have any ceramic or stone ornaments? Some of them may leach lime or similar alkaline minerals into the water. Have you added anything new?

If it's not ammonia then something is contributing to the high pH, and if your cycle is stable then thats good. (I didn't mean to imply you had done anything wrong - just stating the most common causes!)

Have you tested your tap water pH? It could be at source.

Chlorine can also give alkaline readings - have you changed your dechlorinator? Have you tested for chlorine?

I'm just making suggestions here...

Oh no, I didn't think you were implying I was doing something wrong, Auntiejude! Those were just my reasons why I didn't suspect ammonia levels is all.

I have slate in my tank, and 3 large slate 'caves' - could these be a cause? I also have 2 other ornaments which I suspect are painted plastic and ceramic material. The only other things we have are a small Interpet Jazz airstone and my two filters.

The tap water PH at last test (last Saturday) was 8.2 - so something has made it go up in my tank. I may test my tank later to see if anything has changed.

I can't test for chlorine as my kit doesn't cover it, but I've always used Stres Coat + and haven't changed it recently.

Thanks for your help!

UPDATE: A full week after this incident I have tested my water again after a 60% water change and have ended up with a PH (using the same High Range PH kit) with a result that indicates around 7.6 (it's a light brownish orange). I suspect our tap water went wonky for a week or so, resulting in the large PH rise.

Thanks for all your help! Both axxies are happy and healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back