Question: I have two 4 day old axolotl

ash9333

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I do have a lot of questions about my new babies. I looked and googled, and read a lot of stuff but not a whole lot about baby axolotl. I got mine off a guy on craigslist and i have had them for 2 days, I keep them in a small betta tank with an airstone on low very low. But the guy gave me these worms called microworms and said to chop them up real fine and put them in there. so i have been doing that until my brine shrimp hatch today. I will nuber each question and if you can provide me any more info on these i would love to hear it. Thanks :happy:
1. How long will they have to eat brine shrimp?
2. how often do I feed them?
3. Should I keep their tank water 64-68?
4. How often should I change the water?
5. What does leucistic mean?
6. the guy said something that one of the one's that i have may not have the black light gene, what do the glow?
7. when they get old i was told they would eat each other true or false?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out:confused:

1. Until they are big enough for bigger food - move them on to daphnia, then bloodworms, then earthworms.
2. At that size twice a day, and remove any uneaten food.
3. 64-68F should be fine, but no cooler until they are a bit bigger.
4. Every day, unless you get a filter.
5. Leucistic is a colour morph - pink with black eyes.
6. Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) axolotls glow green under UV light.
7. They may nip at each other while they are small, as they do not recognise the difference beyween food an other axolotls. I would separate them until they are 4-5" long. If you can't do that you need to make sure they are well fed, and be prepared for injuries suck as gill bites, lost toes/fingers or even whole limbs.

Dont bother chopping the micro worm up, axolotls can eat them on hatching

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back