Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this weird pose my cynops orientalis is doing?!

imheretowatch

Reaction score
Ok i have no clue what this is but it doesnt seems like she is in any illness she seems to do this quite often then wakes up and swims away after about 4 seconds in this pose is it sleeping? she closes her eyes tight makes an upsidedown arc with her back and flips up her arms to like cover her face

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 331

AeonMapa

Reaction score
I can't tell you why they do it, but mine do too, and they seem healthy :) Maybe just a stretch or an attempt to get debris out of an eye? The animal looks healthy though

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It is probably preparing to shed.. my jfbn do the weirdest poses when they shed.

Could you show us a pic of the whole tank please... I am very curious :D

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, that is pre-shedding behaviour. It appears to be a contortion that loosens up the skin around the head and forelimbs which facilitates the first stages of shedding. All newts do this and as Julia pointed out C.pyrrhogaster are particularly humorous for some reason :D

Last edited:

imheretowatch

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help! so i guess its a shedding thing she is very healthy otherwise and is doing fine i just find this pose funny anyways thanks for the help!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!