Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Keeping other animals with newts

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be ok to keep ghost shrimp and Apple snails in with my newts, Both are very peaceful and the ghost shrimp should be too big for the salamanders to eat.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Rather than applesnails i would recommend Planorbarius (ramshorn snails). Unlike applesnails they share the newt´s requirements and pose no threat at all since they have no operculum.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Ramshorn breed like crazy though ... I do not want babies everywhere. Also Applesnails need cooler temps than most keep them at.

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Cherry shrimp! :) I tried to introduce pond snails, but it seems the newts eat them :p

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
cherry shrimp are hard to get and expensive in my area :( Makes me sad though because I would love to breed the little guys.

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Aww ok. Ghost shrimp should be fine just be aware they will provide competition during feeding time. A ghost shrimp is capable of stealing and keeping even a large earthworm piece. Ramshorn snails are nice, I keep them too and the newts will eat many before they even get big enough to notice

Niels D

Reaction score
I don't see the problem with ramshorne snails breeding like crazy. They're beautiful and they really keep your tank in balance. I've got pond and ramshorne snails in all my tanks and they never become a pest. Ghost shrimp come in different kinds of species. Smaller ones do very well together with newts. I've got a cherry shrimp breeding tank, but most of my salamander tanks have a steady self sustaining population in it already. Apple snails produce a lot of waste compared to the other mentioned species.

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I have a 35 gallon sponge filter for a 10 gallon tank so the waste should not be an issue. I have Pomacea Bridgesii my largest being an inch. I know they are messy but they are really the only snail I like. I do not want something that will compete with the newts so I will just pass on the shrimp :) at least for these tanks :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1