What are good feeders to start a cycle with?

SkollSunChaser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Zerrin
I had a thought; when I finally get into my apartment and get my tank up and running, could I use feeder fish to start up a cycle? I know that some folks use feeders for their axolotls, and I wanted to cycle with fish to start with (I read in one spot that it was faster with fish, though I may have misread or gotten bad information). So, with that said, are there any fish that you guys would recommend, or avoid at all costs? Or, is there a good reason for me to avoid the idea entirely? Any feedback is always appreciated :3

Its easier to do a fishless cycle to cycle a tank, no need to expose a fish to ammonia. Also its less hassle without fish as you will not have to do daily water changes. If you really feel the need to use fish, endlers, guppies or white cloud minnows would be ok.

The above advice is pretty spot on. Fishless cycle is a lot less work because you don't have to do the water changes to keep levels at living conditions for the fish used to cycle the tank. But, I've done it both ways and I don't mind either. If you have the time for the cycle with fish then go ahead.

I would defiantly advise a fishless cycle, then literally all you need to do until near the end of the cycle, is put a drop of ammonia in daily :D

Also Axies are quite messy animals so you would need a lot of fish to produce the same amount of ammonia as a couple of axies :eek:

Considering I'd rather have it up and running as soon as possible, I'll probably hold off on the little fishies :3 Thanks for the advice, I'm so glad I signed up for this forum!

Another option, if you know somebody with a healthy, established freshwater tank...
Ask for an old filter sponge and put it in your filter. Even get some of their ornaments or a large rock with good algae and bacteria growing on it. Then continue with the ammonia drops daily...

When switching the media, make sure it always stays in some tank water, because the good stuff dies off very quickly once it's pulled from the tank.

This should give you an instantly cycled tank :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back