RIP little newt :/

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Display Name
Aeon
Ok so I had an escape a week ago and covered the holes with sponges. I guess I didn't stuff them well enough cos another newt escaped by pushing them out. Just like the previous one she went straight for the shower. Unfortunately, this time the bathroom had just been cleaned with bleach a few hours before. I found her caked in some bleach powder and in extremely bad shape. It seemed she was trying to shed the skin where the bleach was sticking to her and was unable to do so. I picked her up and rinsed off the excess bleach in aquarium water, but her body's lower half was still covered. I put her in a sterile container with tissue, java moss and cool water. Also added some stones so she could rub the skin off. Right before I slept she was attempting to rub the skin off on one of the rocks. She was dead when I checked on her this morning :(

Needless to say I tightened security even more, now blocking all the holes with masking tape. I just wanted to share this experience so other owners can learn from my misfortune. I'd also like to know if I did the right thing in terms of first aid, and if there's a better way to handle it if ever something like this happens again.

I'll leave a few pics of my newt as tribute, she was my most active, interesting newt and will be sorely missed :(

Attachments

• C360_2013-08-26-10-12-40-424.jpg
    C360_2013-08-26-10-12-40-424.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 259
  • C360_2013-09-09-22-30-11-802.jpg
    C360_2013-09-09-22-30-11-802.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 308
  • C360_2013-09-22-18-10-06-222.jpg
    C360_2013-09-22-18-10-06-222.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 293
Using one of those nano tanks with a built in filter an light hood

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back