Bruised and swollen

snuggly time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Beks
Hi everyone,

My axolotls leg is swollen and he isn't using it. He doesn't seem to be able to bend it and is avoiding walking. He seems to just fall to the side if he tries to move. His back seems to be slightly arched and he's not sat straight. His gills were forward yesterday but they seem a little better today.

Today he seems to have developed a bruise or possible internal bleeding? I'm not really sure. Do you think this needs veterinary attention? It's the bruise I'm really worried about.

He's got no tank mates so it's not an attack. Really not sure how this happened. I've put an Indian Almond leaf in the water just to help. The last thing he needs now is a fungal infection *touch wood*.

Here's the tank parameters:
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: around 5.
Temperature: 20c (I know a little high but it's stable)

The first 2 pictures are from yesterday, the last is from today which looks worse.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 604
It looks like an injury to me. He might have gotten his leg caught on something and might have even broken his leg. The bruising is to be expected, I would think. I don't really think you need to see a vet, at least not right now. Axolotls are, of course, famous for their regenerative and healing abilities. You're taking a step in the right direction with the leaf, now all you can do is wait and watch. It's also a good idea to look around your tank for anything he might have gotten caught on.

If it gets any worse, you should definitely see a vet, though.

It looks like an injury to me. He might have gotten his leg caught on something and might have even broken his leg. The bruising is to be expected, I would think. I don't really think you need to see a vet, at least not right now. Axolotls are, of course, famous for their regenerative and healing abilities. You're taking a step in the right direction with the leaf, now all you can do is wait and watch. It's also a good idea to look around your tank for anything he might have gotten caught on.

If it gets any worse, you should definitely see a vet, though.

Thanks, I'm thinking the worse because I don't want anything bad to happen to him. :eek:

It could be his bridges which he caught his leg on, they double up as his hide. I've just put them back in his tank. He had another larger and better bridge (the one at the back in the picture) but the paint started to peel. I'm currently in the process of sanding it down so I can put it back in the tank. I have tomorrow off so I can finish it off and take the other 2 bridges out. He might have got it caught in the handrail/footrail - whatever it is to an axolotl, lol.

31335d1370554032-my-little-wooper-img_0005.jpg

That does look like something he would get his foot caught on. Unfortunately, I don't think sanding it down is going to stop him from getting his foot jammed. You might have to look into getting some different hides in the near future. :(

It's another one I'm sanding down to replace the bridge that's in there. I have been looking at other hides too though. :happy:

Oh, I wasn't sure what you meant. That's good then. c:
I hope your little guy heals and gets back to being a happy 'lotl.

Poor Wooper! I hope his leg heals soon :) Unfortunately these guys could probably injure themselves in a padded room sometimes.

...these guys could probably injure themselves in a padded room sometimes.
PMSL!
OK so when axies get injured they heal pretty well, so I wouldn't worry.
It certainly looks like he's caught it in something and given it a good wrench. I would suggest if he doesn't start moving it in a few days you try and see whether it will move but he just won't - indicating a pulled muscle (or equivalent) or if it won't move at all (indicating a dislocation). Don't know how you feel about putting a hip back in...:eek:

He's now got a little lump above the leg. He's really not moving much anyway, but he did swim to the surface for some air today but didn't use that leg. His back is also curved, he sits in an 'S' shape.
Also, he's refusing worms now. He did the most pathetic attempt at eating one earlier then spat it back out.

I've covered most of his tank in towels so he's in the dark and doesn't have to move to go to his hide. But on a positive note I think the leg looks a little less swollen.

Attachments

• IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 361
I think I would pay a visit to a vet, . I don't think I would want to wait any longer to see if anything else developes.

I think I would pay a visit to a vet, . I don't think I would want to wait any longer to see if anything else developes.

Ok thanks. I work opposite a vets so hopefully they'll come to my shop for their lunch as usual, and I'll ask them if they see axolotls. If not I'll search after work.

Wooper is looking much better today. The swollen leg has gone down a lot but he's still not using it much. A little unsteady on his feet but at least he's moving now. The lump on his side has reduced a lot too.
He ate a worm this morning and also took another one a few minutes ago too. He also looked at me and he climbed his log! He's been in his own little world the last few days, so glad he's turning back into his usual friendly self. His poo's are now brown too which is a relief.

I just need to fatten him up a bit now since he's lost a lot of weight these last few days.
:happy:

(Excuse the bad photos, my camera is nearly dead)

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 330
I'm so happy Wooper is doing better! :D

Is it normal for his tail to be so red? I noticed my new pup changes colors sometimes ;)

Is it normal for his tail to be so red? I noticed my new pup changes colors sometimes ;)

Albinos and leucistics tend to show their bloodflow levels more than other types. The redness is just increased bloodflow from moving around or just simply being awake and aware. You'll notice when an albino or leucistic is asleep, their color will pale out, most noticeably in the gills. Redness like this is probably caused by mild stress, which is understandable considering he did injure himself.

Yeah his tail goes red when he's active. At the moment it seems to be really red because he hasn't moved in days. His gills will also change colour when he's moving. :happy:

I'm so happy he's better! Yay Wooper! :)

Little update:

Wooper seems to be getting worse again. He isn't moving much, in fact he just appears to be sleeping all the time. If he is awake he's not very active as he won't use his leg. He just holds it in the air. He has learnt how to walk with 3 legs now, so he no longer topples over.
Where there was a lump there's a wound now. Like he's stabbed himself on something. What it is I can't figure out though!

He's been producing more white poops. I have a theory that they're part digested worms. He's been sick a lot and the worms come up white,and part digested. So I think maybe the poop is just the white worm mush. Sometimes it's brown too.
I just don't know what to do feeding wise, it's like should I feed him or leave him? I might try a few bloodworm again tomorrow and see if he digests them. I've had to clean up so many piles of worm sick this past week it's getting worrying.

He's got a new hide which he seems to like, but I can't get him out of it to clean up any worm sick that might be in there now. Grr lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back