Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Usually I can always tell the sex of pretty much any axie... But...

iSuzie

Reaction score
Usually I can always tell the sex of pretty much any axie... But...

I got this really unhealthy, very skinny, malnourished looking wild type yesterday, 'she' I believe to be a girl but the more I look at 'her' the more Im just not sure! She's 24-25cm long, I couldn't quite tell if it was 24 or 25 but anyway, seems as she's got such length to her, I'm assuming she's at least 10-18months - anywhere to 2 or more year old (witch can always simply be wrong) but my assumption is the because of her length and size of her head compared to the rest of her body she could actually be an adult. But due to her being so very skinny and completely under weight that her length might be giving away her age, although some just grow really fast, I just don't see this poor gal as being the well looked after well feed type of axolotl. I'm assuming based on her length and condition that she's been suffering for quite a while and could of very well been left in a small area for even a year or so!... So with all that said, she doesn't have a very big bump and it's not that long in comparison to her skinny long body, but it could also be that thing could be a juvenile that lost weight quite fast while in the petshop (that feed him only tiny feeder fish) and that I could be completly wrong... I just want to be able to give this precious creature a full name! ت

Obviously ill be posting a photo for others options because I'd very much like to name him/her as soon as I can!.

iSuzie

Reaction score
utf-8BSU1BRzUzNzQuanBn_zpsf0e34582.jpgutf-8BSU1BRzUzNTIuanBn_zps7a7da6c1.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzUzNTcuanBn_zpsd617f8a2.jpgutf-8BSU1BRzUzNzQuanBn_zpsec82a136.jpg

utf-8BSU1BRzUzNjEuanBn_zps8f9f3920.jpgutf-8BSU1BRzUzNTEuanBn_zps635681aa.jpg

Last edited:

iSuzie

Reaction score
I'm just not sure, it's sort of long, but so is the rest of it's body, but it's not puffed out at all or swollen looking like all the rest of my males, but even with the lack of a bumb present I'm still not sure because it could be very under developed, but if that were the case, why is it so long? 25cm is a nice length, and looking down at how long the rest of the body is compared to that area, it really is barley anything there! Hence me thinking female... I'd really like opinions please.. sorry I can't get any better photos, had to tub him to even come close enough lol.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Maybe once he/she gains some more weight, it will be easier to tell. Just wait and see is all I can say. ;)

iSuzie

Reaction score
I couldn't get a proper picture, it looks like a boy in a couple of the pictures, but when I look in real life it is just so not even existent, yet the shape is a little longer and more male looking, but I keep changing my mind on what I think it is!

iSuzie

Reaction score
I'm still not sure :/ every couple of hours I change my mine haha. I'm just unsure, as soon as it's nursed back to Heath, then I'll know ت for now, we have a name, camo or cami depending on sex, shouldn't be too long until I fatten this one up ت

iSuzie

Reaction score
I thought of that too, but I thought it may grow differently, I can't explain it, when I look at him I think male, then it's not even the smallest bit of ****ty brine shrimps small! a like. AND I really do need a new friend honestly

auntiejude

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards male too, but I have to agree it will be easier when he/she is a bit plumper.

Yes the head shape is more male, but the bump is definatley male-shaped rather than female.

iSuzie

Reaction score
It's really odd because it's long like males but it's barley a bump at all, witch could obviously be from lack of food! So I do think it's a boy, but everytime I look at his body, it's so long, when I first got him I thought he was a juvenile about 18cm but when I got him home and actually had a look at him, his a lot longer than I thought and that's very concerning considering how tiny the rest of his body is. So I guess for now ill call him a him until otherwise noticed. Lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1