Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Age and sexing my axie

Dicranurus

Reaction score
Dear all,
I bought my axie 3 months ago from a pet shop. They told me that she's a female but I would like to have your opinion about sex ;) I named her Cassandra but if he's a boy a should change her/his name ;) I don't know the age. She's 17,5-18 cm long and she has black toe tips so she should be sexually mature. Please let me know what do you think about her/him :p

Thanks a lot :D:angel:

Attachments

• DSC_0374.jpg
    DSC_0374.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1227.jpg
    IMG_1227.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 274

auntiejude

Reaction score
First of all, dark toe tips are NOT a sign of sexual maturity - they are just a sign of dark toe tips.

At 18cm/7" it is not quite big enough to sex accurately, so I don't know how someone sold you a 'female' 3 months ago. You need to wait until s/he is 20-22cm/8" to be sure, and we need clearer pictures to make an accurate determination.

Dicranurus

Reaction score
Thanks a lor for your answer auntiejude. I have no idea how someone sold me a 'female' 3 months ago...It's my first axolotl. I just saw that this pet shop was keeping an axolotl in bad conditions so I decided to buy it because I wanted to save him/her from a more or less certain death. So I started collecting information about this species only after buying it.

What kind of photos would you need in order to make an accurate determination? Simply of better quality or of specific parts?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Have you got a proper camera? Your side-on shot looks a little grainy, as if it was taken with a phone camera. Don't be afraid to use the flash. You have the right shots, but the quality isn't really good enough to see clearly.

Incidentally it is not really recommended that you 'rescue' an axie from a poor quality set up in a pet shop - all the owner will do now is get another axie and mistreat that one too. I know it sounds wicked, but if a pet shop owner has pets that die because he's not looking after them and they don't sell, he'll stop getting them in.

kkdavey

Reaction score
It's so hard to tell when you really are not sure what your looking for
It's a good looking animal anyway though :) whether it's pretty or handsome

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1