Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. Orientalis how do i get them to be aquatic?

imheretowatch

Reaction score
Hi!,

So I have been breeding orientalis for 3 years now. Each time getting more success with survival rate and I have 10 efts currently (most have been sold). I have two females that are laying eggs constantly (still are). I am always having more and more newts and I have been considering trying to make the efts aquatic for once. Many people do this and I have always wanted to try this, but all my efts really seem to dislike water, which I understand since as juveniles they are hydrophobic. But how do some people have their efts in water at around 1 week after metamorphosis? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have pics on my oldest efts they are around 4 months and over 4cm. The younger ones in the paper towel set up are 1-2 months and are nearly 4cm, you can see that the older ones are housed in a 75% water setup and 25% land but they never enter the water.

Attachments

• caudat.jpg
    caudat.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 195
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 196
  • c2.jpg
    c2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: C. Orientalis how do i get them to be aqautic?

I would personally reduce the water level to an inch or so, and have it full of live aquatic plants...I think the little efts will find it more inviting.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Yes, open water is exactly what you don´t want. It will prevent them from going aquatic until they are mature enough to develop wider tails that allow them to be competent at swimming, and if any of them ventures on water, it can actually drown.
What you want is to pack the water FULL of plants. Java moss, Riccia and other plants that form very dense mats are ideal for this. Not only will they prevent drowning, they will create optimal water conditions for the juvies to explore safely. Eventually they will start dipping their heads into the water.

imheretowatch

Reaction score

oh ok so should i leave the tank like this and simply add in tons of plants?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score

Remove all terrestrial areas, just have 1-2 inches of water packed full of plants. Using foods that are submerged (like whiteworms, baby earthworms, Daphnia, blackworms...) is useful to get them to venture into the water a bit at a time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1