Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Mustang & Charlie's new set up- idea's welcome!

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
After my filter broke Charlie & Mustang have been in temporary housing, but I finally got my filter back & cleaned the tank out & it is re set up.
Mustang is a morphed axolotl who likes to swim but also needs land & Charles is a normal wild type axolotl (still recovering from heat stroke).

I still need:
Water chiller (Tuesday)
Substrate (sand, river rocks or fake bottom?)
Turtle dock for Mustang (currently using floating driftwood)
Need driftwood to sink
Plants ('grass like' floor, fake or real plants, species ?)

If any of you have any idea's or suggestions on additions/replacements for my tank please let me know, or just what works for you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 237

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I would go with sand as the substrate. Some people also like using "astro-turf" type fake grass.

If you want real plants, the ones commonly used are anubias, elodea, and moss (java, morimo, christmas, etc.).

The driftwood will sink as it becomes waterlogged, no worries there.

I believe there's a type of dock you can get that sticks to the side of the tank with suction cups.

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a few floating plants to decorate the water a bit but will probably go with pretty fake ones for on the ground etc as my axies always uproot them.
Sand got quite dirty last time I used it & I found it hard to clean so I may go with turf or some flat rock or something.
& I've been keeping an eye out on gumtree but will probably look at the pet shops after my hsc exams tomorrow.
Again thanks :)

HayleyK

Reaction score
I've heard of some people using slate tiles on the bottom too or siliconing sand down.

I personally like the look of real plants and if you think your axolotl might rip them up, you can buy drift wood or terracotta pots with plants rooted to them, I think they're quite nice.

I was just looking in all the local aquarium warehouses in my area today (in search for red sand!) and they have turtle docks of all different sizes like patch said, that suction to the sides.

And for the air pumps, I like the strips it forms a pretty curtain of bubbles my axolotls like to hitch rides on, very amusing to watch! And from experience - don't buy the cheapest air pump, they usually don't have the power to pump air through an air strip. Opt for the mid range ones.

P.s good luck in your HSC! So glad I'm not on high school anymore learning about the ridiculous topic of "belonging", ughh worst paper ever.

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Yeah I heard of slate as well, though now you mention the pots real plants would be lovely!
Thanks for the turtle dock info, I'll have a look when I go to pick up the chiller on Tuesday :)
I have a bunch of good air pumps as I have kept tropical fish in 2 4 ft tanks!
I will have to get another long bubble dispenser thingo though cause they are very pretty :)

It sucks, I actually have a belonging essay in my exam tomorrow- it is THE worst topic! :p
It will all be over soon though :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1