What kind of filter media to use?

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rhiannon
So my last carbon (or charcoal? I don't remember what they're actually called) filter pad finally gave out, and now I'm not really sure if I just want to buy more of them, or get a longer lasting kind of media. My filter is a TopFin 20 HOB filter. I've heard that it will run fine without any filter pad at all, but I'm not sure if it's true or not.

What kinds of filter media can I use with this type of filter?

The minimum requirement for a filter is something to take out particulates and for bateria to grow in. Simple filters just have coarse sponge, complicated ones can have up to 8 different layers. You can leave out the carbon layer and replace it with another sponge layer.

What kind of sponge should I use? As far as I've seen, there aren't many stores here in town that sell much of any kind of filter media, let alone sponges that fit my filter.

You can usually buy non-branded sponge or felt for filters and cut to size.
Or there is always Amazon :happy:

Felt? I'll give felt a try first, then. Would dish sponges work? Not used ones of course. There are a few thin ones that I've seen before, not sure if they'd work or not.

Felt? I'll give felt a try first, then. Would dish sponges work? Not used ones of course. There are a few thin ones that I've seen before, not sure if they'd work or not.

I would not use kitchen sponges you never know what they may or may not be treated with,
You can get all typs of filter media on line 2 of th best IMO is Drs.Foster and Smith at drsfosterandsmith.com and the other is petmountain.com, both have very reasonable prices and shipping is not too bad.........:happy:
hope this helps

The only problem with ordering online is that I'm not allowed to. I don't have a credit card of my own, only my dad does. But he doesn't enjoy letting me make purchases online with it. So it's just what I can find in town. :(

do you not have a bank card to buy things online? You dont need a credit card.
Also a good option for filters is ceramic noodles they have coarse surface area for bacteria to grow and last years

I would not use kitchen sponges you never know what they may or may not be treated with,
You can get all typs of filter media on line 2 of th best IMO is Drs.Foster and Smith at drsfosterandsmith.com and the other is petmountain.com, both have very reasonable prices and shipping is not too bad.........:happy:
hope this helps

I used a kitchen sponge to stop an internal filter vibrating against the tank glass. After a while it started to disintegrate so I got it out ( well most of it!). Not recommended.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

do you not have a bank card to buy things online? You dont need a credit card.
Also a good option for filters is ceramic noodles they have coarse surface area for bacteria to grow and last years

I was thinking about swinging by the pet store on my next paycheck and buying some of those, actually. I assume I need to let them soak for a bit, then I can just dump them into the bottom of the filter, right?

Also, I got some craft felt the other day. I cut it to size, and then I went and cleaned it out with hot water, as well as soaking it in tank water for a few minutes, before sticking it into the filter. I didn't use any soap or anything, so no worries there. Should I use more than one layer of felt, or is one going to be okay?

I just rinsed the cermaic things in a bucket of tank water, swished them all about then added them into the old 'charcoal basket' part of my filter :D
I noticed the next weekend (water test and change time) that my nitrates hadnt even gotten to half of what they usually do, so they must be doing something good haha!
Erm well i suppose it depends on how thick the felt is, my fine sponge is probs about 2cm thick and my course sponge is about 4cm thick, but thats just ones that came with the filter haha

I just rinsed the cermaic things in a bucket of tank water, swished them all about then added them into the old 'charcoal basket' part of my filter :D
I noticed the next weekend (water test and change time) that my nitrates hadnt even gotten to half of what they usually do, so they must be doing something good haha!
Erm well i suppose it depends on how thick the felt is, my fine sponge is probs about 2cm thick and my course sponge is about 4cm thick, but thats just ones that came with the filter haha

I don't even think this felt is more than 2mm thick. So I'll have to cut a couple more layers, it seems. I'll definitely get some ceramic noodles when I get the chance. :D

I got the fluval brand but i dont suppose it matters, just off ebay cause i couldnt get to the pet shop haha.

I suppose as long as the sponge covers the width and length of the filter it dosnt really matter that much but i would prefer it thicker so the water is more filtered :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back