Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Happy Thanksgiving - Love Penny

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
I returned home from a lovely thanksgiving dinner tonight to see Penny has left me at least 200 presents. So how do I remove them? Just with my hands? I don't want to hurt them, I know I have a bit to decide what to do with them but how long can I leave them in there before removing them? I figured I could remove them tomorrow..... Thanx a lot Penny...... Sheldon also looks very pleased with himself.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 821

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Sorry the pic is sideways, it wasn't sideways on my phone.

Also my axies are only a year old this month, same breeding, will the babies be okay? Will Penny be okay? She seems fine but I just want to make sure since she is a little young still.

Gia

Reaction score
I love how pretty the eggs look on your decor... Sorry I don't have anything to advise regarding the eggs removal.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk now Free

HayleyK

Reaction score
I guess so, eggs are more hardier than you think. Super cute though, are you keeping them? Yes, she is a little young just keep an eye on her and probably wouldn't breed with her again for 6 months if you can. If you see any spermatophores get them before she does haha.

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
I have to correct myself after posting this I accessed the tank and counted...... I stopped at 400 eggs. Ugh!

I know how hard raising them from eggs can be, I watched a friend go through it before, only she only had to care for 25. It was nuts!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Ha! I have exactly the same problem, and I thought they were too young as well. And 2 more pregnant females to boot :eek:

The eggs come off quite easily from plastic plants. They are attached with goo, you just have to get a thumbnail under them. I feels pretty disgusting - just like snot :tongue:. The eggs are pretty tough, mine are just at the 'bean-shaped' stage.

Alternatively just take the plant out.

Mind you, mine laid eggs all over the airline, the floor, the ornaments, the filter inlet....:lol:

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Oh lol that was just one pic I took, they were all over the tank, both plants infested, the ornaments infested, the filter line infested, even the sand..... Infested. I worked for hours yesterday to remove the eggs and give the tank a good cleaning. The eggs are now in a separate tub, the boys back in their tank and Penny is in her own tank for now as I read it's best to separate the parents afterwards for a period to help with stress and back to back breeding. Sheldon is very lost looking for Penny it seems. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1