Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Show me your enclosures!

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
I am getting a small group of fire salamanders and wanted to see pictures of different setups to get some ideas of how to set mine up :)

AeonMapa

Reaction score
here, but its aquatic

Attachments

• C360_2013-09-22-18-02-51-486.jpg
    C360_2013-09-22-18-02-51-486.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 408

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
I should have said im looking for fire salamander enclosures :). We went to the lake today and i found some nice wood pieces that would make some nice hide spots after i bake them and whatnot :). I think for now i will buy a large tote and make enclosure ouy of it with either coco fiber or moss, add some leaf litter and then the wood

Last edited:

slater

Reaction score
London, England -- Raleigh, North Carolina
Here are a couple bad shots of one of my fire salamander tanks -- this is a ~50g cube tank that holds a small breeding group of adults. There is a small and shallow water area at the front of the tank where the females deposit their larvae. My other tanks, which hold juvenile fire salamanders, don't have water areas as these guys are very clumsy swimmers. The terrestrial part of the vivarium is built up into a hill, and there are many hiding spots throughout -- most of them don't show up in these photos. Pothos and java moss make up most of the plants.

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

velasco13000

Reaction score
that looks like an awesome tank...do you have more pictures?? :) I want to try and imitate that :) and if you can include of basic instructions on how you made it..please and thank you :)

velasco13000

Reaction score
I have been meaning to build like a nice viquarium...I have a nice big exo terra tank that I bought off craigslist for super cheap and I want to have a small water area and also have like a waterfall coming down... I found this online and it seems pretty cool what do you guys think??

HOW TO BUILD A DART FROG VIV -  BambooZoo

slater

Reaction score
London, England -- Raleigh, North Carolina
Thanks, I'll try and get some more pics up of this and my three 50g tanks. Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos during the construction of these tanks -- I wish I had. But, if you search around on the forum there are a bunch of threads with good construction info & advice.

that looks like an awesome tank...do you have more pictures?? :) I want to try and imitate that :) and if you can include of basic instructions on how you made it..please and thank you :)

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
Very nice! Makes my setup look horrible lol. mine is just a temporary grow out setup. I have my 4 babies in a 10 gallon with coco fiber, some leaf litter, bark hides, and it has a drainage layer of hydro balls with a plastic mesh thing to keep the coco fiber from mixing with the hydro balls. I have a shallow water dish that barley has any water in it as well

velasco13000

Reaction score
that's simply a basic enclosure..nothing is wrong with that :) i thought you had 5 babies and not four??

XDragonGrlX

Reaction score
I do but i have my little handicapped baby in its own tub :). Basically set up the same way

-Amber

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1