Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloat, bubbles, or healthy?

arcanum

Reaction score
I'm new to keeping axolotls, so I've been researching like mad about every possible thing I can regarding them. I think I'm doing well, but I've run into a bit of a problem that I can't find the answer to on the internet. My juvenile leucistic axolotl has been showing signs of what I think might be air bubbles around the stomach. It's pretty strange. They seem to inflate every now and then in a few places, then recede and look normal again for a bit. Since I've placed my axie into a new tank (just got him/ her last week) that I'm still cycling, I've run tests and the ph is at a constant 7.4, ammonia is still at .25, nitrite 0, and nitrate 5. the temperature has not exceeded 72º Fahrenheit at all. Other than the little bubbly things, my axie's gills have gotten perfectly pink and long compared to how they were when I bought him/her. He/she has also been more active since then too. Also eating habits are normal, as well as BM's, so everything seems healthy, besides the bloating or bubbles, whatever it may be. is this normal for them? do their stomachs expand as they breathe or something like other animals&humans? it happens in multiple places: the end of the stomach near the rear, the one near the head(chest area), one on the lower right of his side, and one on the upper leftof the side. the ones on the sides are static, and recede depending on how much food/poo is in him so I thinj those may be normal, but the bottom ones on the stomach blow up like little balloons for a split second every now and then and recede rather quickly, but are always there just slightly. is he actually healthy and just a little fat? or is it gas/air bubbles? I know it can't be constipation, BM's have been normal. oh, by the way, I am putting tap water that is treated with Prime to dechlorinate it.

best case scenario is that I am being a little paranoid and he's healthy, but I really want to make sure with those who are experienced in this because i'm doing my absolute best to care for him and watch over him like a hawk so I can watch him grow healthily into a beautiful adult like he deserves.

I will try to attatch some photos that I have for now from my phone, and since they're low quality I'll try taking some tomorrow early with my camera if needed.

sorry for the rotated photos, it uploaded them that way even though they're right side up in my gallery.

Attachments

• 20131014_031259-1569397080.jpg
    20131014_031259-1569397080.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 365
  • 20131014_033702-1034644260.jpg
    20131014_033702-1034644260.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 20131014_030819-1493758975.jpg
    20131014_030819-1493758975.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 20131014_033157-2026728457.jpg
    20131014_033157-2026728457.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 20131014_0320081711487439.jpg
    20131014_0320081711487439.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 272
  • 20131014_032710734291036.jpg
    20131014_032710734291036.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 234

Sabby20903

Reaction score
Hey.

I have kept and bred axolotls for years and yours looks fine to me. If he/she had air bubbles trapped they would be flooping and floating. The fact that its eating is good and you'll probably find its a big poo!!!! They can eat the gravel/substrate they have in the tank so the only piece of advice I can offer is to have fine play sand on the bottom. you seem to be checking your stuff and are doing a great job, keep it up!

x

arcanum

Reaction score
it's so reassuring to hear that from an expert, thanks loads! And thanks for letting me know about the sand too, I will find the proper type and switch it asap! :)
I'd just like to add, if it changes anything ( I wanna be completely sure, without a doubtmy axie's okay) but 3 days ago he was sort of floating around the surface, right side up, not sticking out of the water or anything but he stayed there briefly multiple times that day. immediately, I started looking into it and thought it was constipation(he hadnt had a BM for a while), so I fridged for a few hours until I felt enough poo was out and he was looking better. after that he hasn't floated since and the gills etc got to where they are now. but I guess if this means he's okay now I trust your judgment. :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Some axies like to take a breath and float for a bit. Mine do it all the time, it's normal as long as they can get down again if they want to.

Fridging your axie is only meant to be for serious illness and helping them pass gravel/obstruction etc - it can be stressful for them. It's not necessary unless they haven't pooped for a week or they are seriously injured.

Constipation is characterised by 'floaty bum syndrome' where they struggle to keep their back legs and tail on the ground. Maggots, waxworms and butterworms are oftem recommended as a cure because they are quite fatty, and help 'lubricate' the digestive system to enable normal pooping.

Sabby20903

Reaction score
Ok, I'd say the floating you need to keep an eye on. If the little axie has swallowed some substrate it could have impaction which is bad.... the fridge is a fab idea and well done for your quick thinking. The finer the sand the better!!!! or massive sea rocks are good! You can buy Beach stones but I would say to be sure take the ones bigger than your fist! Good luck!

arcanum

Reaction score
@Jude- ah yes! I totally forgot to mention about the floating bum, he was doing that. not since I fridged him so he's okay now though. He did let out like a ball of substrate in there, as well as poo. i thought my substrate was small enough to avoid impaction, but looks like i need to find some play sand asap. thank you so much for that tip, I'll keep it in mind if it ever happens again.

@sabby- again, thanks so much for that tip! I knew about them having to be big or small, but not to a specific size range so it was mostly guess work. thanks to you now I know.

thank you both greatly for your advice! I feel more confident now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!