Help with sexing my Mixi ;)?

Hanna09

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure how old my Mixi is or if Mixi is a suitable name, because I'm not sure Mixi is a female! I'm really hoping and think she is, here are some pictures, I would really appreciate some input :)

Attachments

• IMAG0861.jpg
    IMAG0861.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 274
  • IMAG0862_BURST002.jpg
    IMAG0862_BURST002.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMAG0863.jpg
    IMAG0863.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 246
How old is she? What is her length? I'd def say girl from those pics but they all look like girls when they are young that's why I asked the first two questions. :)

You really can't tell until they are 8" or more, they all look female until then.

But if she turn out to be a boy you can change her name to Maxi!

I'd say she's about 6 inches or so. I'm hoping she's a she, so she can stay a Mixi! :)

How long have you had him/her for? how much as has he/she grown since you got her if he/she has.

looking at current picture i agree with everyone else, female. But Auntiejude is 100% correct they all look female when sexually immature.

I got her at the beginning of June and she was only about 2-3 inches, so she has grown considerably since then, which is even more my I'm leaning toward female.

Thanks for all the input! You guys are great, I love this site!

If you got her in June at about 2 inches then he/she was probably about 2 months old and you have had him/her for about 3 almost 4 months now i would say he/she is about 6-7 Months old at 8 inches which seems normal and healthy to me. So i would say still a little young to tell for forsure, best time to tell in between a year to year and a half of age.

I agree it's a bit soon to tell, but she ain't half cute!

Mixi is totally suitable for a boy too. I have a girl called Milton ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back