Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Sick axolotl :(

bendy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive posted a picture on here cause one of my axolotl has something wrong on the side of her face...Ive tried looking it up and cant find anything.

Shes still ok in herself as she has a good swim around but when she eats anything it looks like it makes its worse when she opens her mouth.

Im starting to worry about her. :(

Attachments

• Telford and Wrekin-20131017-00351.jpg
    Telford and Wrekin-20131017-00351.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 631

auntiejude

Reaction score
That looks like an injury that has become infected - you need to see a vet.

What are those black things in the sand?

bendy

Reaction score
Thing is I brought her off a teenage kid a week ago and he said she must of done the damage on a tank ornament he had in tank when I brought her...when I brought her home I did the salt water treatment (dont like the idea but if it was to help I did it) and did a full tank change...but now it's come to a point I'm lost with what to do about her.

They are large pebbles, as I read they can have large ones but not small as they could get stuck in their system, I've already have 2 axolotls with the same bottom none have tried or even swallowed any..

HayleyK

Reaction score
Salt water should be done with fungal treatments, it's quite irritating and pointless when there's no fungus. Salt in a wound never feels nice.

Those pebbles look kind of small and just because two of them haven't had a problem I wouldn't wait for one to happen and just stick to sand, IMO.

As for the treatment for the jaw I wouldn't have a clue, sorry. Hope all ends well.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I would take her to a vet. I don 't think this is something you can treat your self.

Where in the UK are you?

Last edited:

bendy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Sorry for not replying been so worried about my axolotl the vets said there was nothing they can do although it does look self-inflicted, and it now looks like she getting worse...I've had her nearly 4 weeks and feels like i'm losing her already, i do a water change every couple of days, clean the filters everyday as much as i can and now shes not eating.
I feel so helpless it breaks my heart.
I have now put a picture on off how see looks now... :(

Attachments

• Telford and Wrekin-20131101-00357.jpg
    Telford and Wrekin-20131101-00357.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 321

snuggly time

Reaction score
I think this needs the attention of a vet. I'd also be having words with the pet shop if you've only just bought the axolotl.

bendy

Reaction score
I have taken her to the vets and they said there is nothing they can do...strange I know.
And I brought her off some kid of a pet ad site.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I have taken her to the vets and they said there is nothing they can do...strange I know.
And I brought her off some kid of a pet ad site.

What kind of vet did you take her to? Normal cat and dog vets know next to nothing about how to care for amphibians. You should ask around and see if there are any Herp vets in your area, they're more experienced about amphibians. Also, I'm not trying to be harsh, but you should really do a bit more snooping when it comes to buying animals off of a website. You should have asked for pictures, asked what the animal's health was, etc. Some people are more than happy to send an unhealthy animal if it means they get money out of it. If the animal isn't in good health, you just need to pass it up. It sounds cruel, but if no one buys the animal, then the person selling said animals won't try to sell anymore of them if there isn't a profit to be made.

bendy

Reaction score
Shes booked to see a vet on tuesday from the list you gave me so Thank you snuggly time for sending me link, but i dont think she will last till then as tonight i found her upside down at the bottom of the tank. :sad:

bendy

Reaction score
We tried all that...But unfortunately she passed sometime saturday night/sunday monday :'( So we are going to take my other to the vet appointment tomorrow just to get them checked over.
Thanks all for helping, means alot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!