Do GFP reliably produce GFPs?

digitalxri0t

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Яei ☆
So I was sitting here wondering something, I sort of understand the basic of genetics in regards to the coloration but GFP is something that doesn't come up much. Is it a guarantee if one or both parents are GFP's or does it depend on the grandparents as well? Do you have to create a pure line of GFP's in order to get nothing but just those? Figured I'd ask.

I don't know much about genetics either, but from what I've gathered, you won't be guaranteed to get only GFP axolotls from just one set of GFP parents. I believe there would need to be at least three generations of pure GFP breeding for the babies to only be GFP. Traits such as color tend to skip a generation, so even if you were to breed two axolotls with the GFP coloration, their parents' colors would probably still be present in the offspring.

Thank you that cleared up a lot for me! I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

That guy should have stopped typing with "I don't know much about genetics." You can expect gfp to breed true.

Well only one of the parents is GFP so I'm not sure if that meant they would all come out GFP or not. Seeing as genetics like to skip a generation I wasn't too sure about it myself.

That guy should have stopped typing with "I don't know much about genetics." You can expect gfp to breed true.

This is interesting. The gfp trait is dominant in that it produces gfp offspring even if only one parent had it. Normally you would expect if you mated two of the resulting offspring (heterozygotes) that you would get 25% non gfp. But if even heterozygotes produce only gfp offspring, then maybe that's because there are many genes for gfp in the genome. Gfp was inserted by scientists, so perhaps that is the case. So there will eventually be axolotls with various amounts of gfp. Presumably the number of locations will be reflected by how much glow there is? Has anyone observed variation in glow between axolotls?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I'm a girl, thanks. I did my research, by the way. Granted it was under the assumption that GFP would breed the same way other types such as golden albinos would, but like I said, I don't know much about GFP breeding.

I'm a girl, thanks. I did my research, by the way. Granted it was under the assumption that GFP would breed the same way other types such as golden albinos would, but like I said, I don't know much about GFP breeding.

I was under the same line as thinking. Something like GFP doesn't strike me as a constant genetic pass down because there seems to be so few, at least where I am. :)

Since GFP is an artificially inserted genetic modification and is not a 'true' gene you can't expect it to behave exactly the same way as 'natural' gene.

I agree it doesn't get discussed much, but maybe thats because it's difficult to analyse being an artificial creation.

I can't argue with that, still though with there being so little on it maybe it's a good thing to bring it up more to see the variations of results among others. Who knows, maybe somebody will actually delve into a study for it and give us hard evidence answers.

I agree it doesn't get discussed much, but maybe thats because it's difficult to analyse being an artificial creation.

Nope, they have been widely studied. You guys just have to do some research, though it will entail wading through science articles.

OMg!
I don't know if it's backwards day, or what...

But i just got Ian's name :rofl:

Ok, back on topic...

My understanding of the GFP insert which appears to be fairly widely distributed in the USA is that it is a single active insert which behaves as an autosomal dominant. If you cross a GFP with a non-GFP half the offspring will usually be GFP. If all the offspring are GFP then it has two copies of the insert. You would have to cross two such individuals to create a totally GFP population through successive generations.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back