Feeding??

madcatlady

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm really new to this and I have just rescued an adult axolotl. I was wondering how much to feed her, I'm giving her one cooked prawn or one block of frozen blood worm per day. Is that enough or two much? She is in a 25 litre tank with a filter, a place to hide and a bare floor.
samyjyda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

There is no set amount to feed an axolotl. You need to feed her enough to keep her belly the same width as her head.

Earthworms are best as a staple food, although bloodworms are OK for now. Don't bother with the prawn, at least not cooked or salty ones. Live freshwater river shrimp are fine.

25L is rather small for an axolotl, the recommended minimum for an adult is 30-40L.

Where did you you 'rescue' her from?

A girl I know had her with a tank mate but had to separate them as she bit off the other ones foot!! She didn't have room for two tanks so I said I would take her, the tank I bought is just a temporary thing as I can see its a bit small for her. I'm going to get her some brine shrimp and crickets and just go on trial and error with the feeding, I couldn't find any earth worms in my garden so will prob buy some. Thank you so much for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My axies love crickets but make sure they are only as a treat.
Good luck :)

Don't bother with the brine shrimp - they are too small for axies over 3", and they just end up fouling the water or clogging the filter.

Worms should be available from pet stores, bait shops etc without too much trouble. If you can't get earthworms blood worms will do. I find independant LFSs better than chain pet stores for live food. Crickets OK for a treat, some people find they have to pull the legs off though (I'm not squeamish but not sure about de-legging crickets!)

Get yourself a worm farm going - look online for a complete starter kit (I'd recommend Worms Direct). Feed the worms on cooked potatoes and you'll soon have more worms than you need.

That's great advice everyone, thank you so much for all your input. She is doing really well now on blood worm and I have always got crickets as I have a whole room full of reptiles lol I will certainly look into the worm farm, my trouble is that I'm too soft and will probably feel sorry for the worms and keep them lol

Once again, thanks for all the advice.

Mad xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Hello,
Worms are definatly THE staple food for axies, you can get them from Buying Lobworms, Worm Fishing for Salmon, Earthworms for Sale, Wormeries for Fishing, Worms Coarse

Myself and a few others on caudata use that website, i reccomend the mixed dendrobeana(spelling?) as they have some large ones for the time being and some baby ones that will grow to keep your supply going :D

Another food choice is axie pellets, and they dont involve killing worms haha.

Prawns, crickets and bloodworms ect are only for an occasional treat as they dont have enough nutrients for adult axies :eek:

the general rule of thumb for feeding is that their head be the same width as their tummy, if the tummy is thinner, feed more, if the tummy is wider than the head them hold off on feeding for a couple of days :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back