Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Possible new Axie owner... Eggs?!

Kip

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

I have been searching long and hard in my local area to find somewhere that stocks Axos. Unfortunately no where local to me does, and being unable to drive to others further afield, this makes obtaining one of these critters very difficult.

However...

I have the opportunity to buy some eggs from online, laid on the 11th of this month. I have never done anything like this (apart from hatching tadpoles as a kid!) but was wondering how difficult it is to raise Axies from eggs? I have freed up one of my tanks, a 27L that has been cycled, currently has just one fish in it which is due to be moved tomorrow. Would this be suitable for caring for the larvae? I have observed people using tubs of shallow water to raise their axos as well. Basically if I go through with this I want to get it right, so this is why I'm here for advice.

Where would be best to hatch these critters, and is there any tips you could offer? I have been researching a lot over the past months but would value extra input and advice. I would hope to keep 2 for myself; the rest I already have takers for once they grow. I have a 2ft currently cycling for that purpose.

Sorry for the waffle.. .thank you!

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I've never personally hatched any axolotl eggs before, but I can offer a bit of advice. Start up a daphnia culture, and get some frozen bloodworm cubes before you order your eggs. Once the eggs hatch, they will need to eat constantly, so you'll need a pretty nice culture started beforehand.

Kip

Reaction score
Hi there,

I can't get access to daphnia other than actual LIVE daphnia. Though I suppose I could use those to start off a culture and then breed. I can however get a hold of brine shrimp eggs pretty easily.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Eggs are harder to raise than small axies. You need a constant supply of newly hatched brine shrimp for the first week or 2, then other tiny food like daphnia. Most pet shops sell axies at 2-3"+ when they are big enough for bloodworms.

And if they were laid on 11th they are too close to hatching to ship now unless they have been chilled in some way - mine were laid on 9th/10th and they are hatching now. Wait until you can get a batch that are fresher - you want them posted within the first week of being laid if they are coming by post.

Your tank would be fine for a handful of baby axies, but not really suitable for adults, you'd need to move them on at some point. I am hatching my eggs in small plastic tubs (500mls), they will move to shoe storer boxes (5L) once they are on to daphnia.

Get yourself a daphnia culture going, read up on how to raise eggs, and look for a fresh batch - there should be loads about in the next few weeks.

For a guide I have - brineshrimp hatching evey night, a daphnia tub outside, a white worm culture in my outhouse along with a big wormery, and a tropical tank for breeding guppies and cherry shrimp. I swear my axies eat better than I do!

Kip

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for replying :)

So glad you said about the eggs being late. I've decided not to buy, which is great actually; now I have lots of time to allow my big tank to cycle and to get these cultures going.

I've found a daphnia kit on ebay... worth the money? Daphnia Starter Culture + Culturing Instructions + Food - Live Fish Food | eBay

Also, do you keep you cultures in tubs that are unfiltered? I have a very spacious garage.. would this be okay for culturing my shrimp and daphnia or too cold? It's not freezing here at the minute or anything.

When your axie babies are in the tubs, do you just rely on daily water changes? I also have some live elodea I could add to the baby nurseries before they move to the small tank > then hopefully the larger one as they progress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1