Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Concerned he may have swallowed gravel

fowlowl

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a little concerned one of my axolotls may have swallowed gravel. He's albino and I noticed last week that he had a slight lump on his side, near his back legs. This has got more prominent, but not bigger (if that makes sense) over the last couple of days. The gravel was removed about two weeks ago now and he is eating and pooing fine. He doesn't seem uncomfortable. I'm really quite worried about him.

If it was gravel surely he'd have pooed it out by now? I hope it's nothing serious!!

Any advice, greatly appreciated. Thank you in adavance

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
You could try fridging him for an hour or so. It's a common treatment used for constipated axolotls, so it may help him pass whatever it is. It might be a gas build-up, but hard to tell for sure without a picture.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Gravel can take weeks to pass through an axolotls system. How big is it ? Fridging is not recommended for small axolotls and should be done for more than an hour, preferably for a few days.

auntiejude

Reaction score
It can take a long time for axies to pass gravel - I was still fidnig gravel 2 months after I got mine home (gravel in the LFS - gggrrr!). Mind you, I think they may have pooped it out and then eaten it again.

Do you have a picture? It would be much easier to make an assessment.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Gravel can take weeks to pass through an axolotls system. How big is it ? Fridging is not recommended for small axolotls and should be done for more than an hour, preferably for a few days.

My own axolotl was around 5 inches when I fridged him for constipation. It only took him about 2 hours to pass it all. I assume it would be a bit different for gravel, but still.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are going to fridge an axolotl, it is best to do it over a few days. You don't necessarily need to use the fridge, anywhere that is cooler than the current tank will be fine.
I agree a photo may be useful too.

fowlowl

Reaction score
Bless all of your hearts! Thank you so much for all of your advice, I'm so glad I found this site!!

The lump has miraculously vanished and a pretty sizeable turd has appeared in the corner of the tank. If it reappears I will try the frigding and will probably be back for further advice. Thanks again xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1