What sort of sand??

kkdavey

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just got a new tank and previously I haven't put any substrate in the bottom of the tank but I was wondering if there's any cheap but good sand I can put in there ! Xxx

Children's play sand works well and is cheap. You can usually find pretty decent sized bags at hardware stores.

Kids play sand is clean and the right texture - it's not expensive as you only need small amount.

Aww thanks guys
I'd seen that on a youtube video but wasn't too sure
Xx

Sorry to hijack your thread, OP, but could anyone let me know if this sand would be suitable?

It's just children's play sand from Argos. Thanks.

Buy Children's Play Sand - 15kg Bag at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Sand, Toys under 10 pounds.

But I would also like to know about this coloured sand too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Komodo-Caco...1382470142&sr=8-7&keywords=pet+sand+amphibian

Thanks to anyone who can help. :]

The play sand should be just fine. I've heard it was a bad idea to use sand with calcium in it, but don't quote me on that. Anyone else know if that's true or not?

The play sand should be just fine. I've heard it was a bad idea to use sand with calcium in it, but don't quote me on that. Anyone else know if that's true or not?

Thank you kindly. I wonder if this is good too:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pettex-Roma...&qid=1382474876&sr=8-2&keywords=aquarium+sand

It looks pretty fine. I leave near the sea so I have collected some nice smooth large white rocks/pebbles that would look really nice on this dark sand, I think. :) Obviously I would soak and rinse the pebbles to get the salt/any germs off of them before use.

That sand looks like it would work. Only problem with darker colored sand is that it's harder to see droppings. Not that it's any really big issue, anyway, just something to consider.

(My humble opinion) Don't bother with big pebbles unles you're talking about one really big basking-type rock - they are a nightmare to clean around. I used to have river stones and it was a real pain to clean in between. A single rock you can move to clean would be not too much of a problem.

(My humble opinion) Don't bother with big pebbles unles you're talking about one really big basking-type rock - they are a nightmare to clean around. I used to have river stones and it was a real pain to clean in between. A single rock you can move to clean would be not too much of a problem.

I swear you you know everything about Axies haha ! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back