What to do with egg jelly?

bugdozer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just got my first few tadpoles hatching out of their eggs in the tank. Many are still in the jelly. What should I do with the remaining jelly that is empty - is it harmful or beneficial to leave it in the tank? Should I scoop it out when they are all out of it?

I believe the jelly is just protective and serves no purpose once the larvae have hatched. If the eggs are all stuck together I'd leave it until they have all hatched, then get rid of it. It will probably degrade if you leave it.

Are your babies in the tank with thier parents? If so they may get eaten - I'd remove them.

Mine are in little food tub in groups of 10, I fish out the larvae when they hatch and put them in a clean tub, then I can get rid of the old water and egg jelly.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I do not know what the "dirty tank" method is - I'm trying to keep it clean! I will remove the jelly once they are all hatched. The parents belong to a friend and I have only the tadpoles (some will be going back to him if they make it to adulthood!)

Raising larvae in a more natural watery environment- when I get eggs, I put them in a tank with some leaves and by the time they hatch, there are hopefully some microfauna in there. I feed them minced blackworms and I don't clean the tank at all until they morph, unless they take a long time to morph, and then just a partial water change. Other people put them in water and change it every day , that is the total opposite.

I'm not sure about tadpoles but some salamander larvae will eat some of it i think.

i believe it has good nutritional value, so after there yolk is gone they eat some.

hope this helps! :smile: -Seth

I don't know about nutritional value, but I personally removed any empty eggs/jell from my containers as the little guys hatched. I also moved the hatchlings into separate containers away from the eggs.

This helped me keep the water clean and it also helped me keep track of exactly who was and wasn't hatching. It made removing dead or bad eggs much easier as well.

After all mine hatched I flushed the jelly capsules and any casualties that did not develop.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back