Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Renovated tanks

AeonMapa

Reaction score
So while saving up and collecting the materials for my new newt tank, I decided to practice the walstad method and work on my aquascaping on my current tanks. Renovated both in the walstad style over the past week let me know what you think! Especially about the newt tank, I'm pretty sure it's newt safe, but if I missed anything let me know please :)

P.S I know I put in the white clouds again.. I'm planning to keep them in this tank after a I move the newts, and it would be too hard to fish them out of the tropical fish tank when that time comes. Also, there's not too many resting places near the surface for the newts, but the plants will grow to the top in about a month, for now, there's driftwood branches and floating bark to help them out :)

Attachments

• C360_2013-10-19-13-01-03-899.jpg
    C360_2013-10-19-13-01-03-899.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 234
  • C360_2013-10-23-18-19-42-796.jpg
    C360_2013-10-23-18-19-42-796.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 221

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the second photo the newt tank? It's nice, but it looks more like a fish tank. I'd suggest lowering the water level a little if you can.

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Second tank is the newt tank. I could lower the water level, but for what reason though? I don't think they're in any danger of drowning. I forgot to mention that I'm keeping H. Orientalis in this. The newts have been comfortable at this depth for about 4 months now, and are fully aquatic, spending all their time at the bottom. They do dart for air from time to time, and spend their nights on the floating bark island, but otherwise they seem more than happy to stay in the water. Lowering the water would also mean less stable parameters right? The back is densely planted with cabomba grass, though not visible now, will reach the surface in about a month.

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Just an update, I didn't lower the water, but I did put a lot of bark islands and floating plant mats for better comfort for the newts. background plants are also just inches from the surface now, although they still spend most of the day hunting worms at the tank bottom

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!