Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters

sde

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Seth
Hi everyone, i was just wondering out of a strange compelling curiosity what you do with your dead pets. I know its a kinda weird thing to ask but I'm really curios for some reason ( and no its not because i think i have a dieing pet. ). OK i have never done a poll before so I'm not sure if i did it right :eek:. -Seth

Lol, yah probably should have said amphibian pets lol.:p

Only joking, it's good for morale!
It's a good question though, what is the most sensible thing to do with non native animal carcasses? I haven't had any deaths for a good few years now but in the past it's been the toilet for small stuff or buried in the garden for big stuff . today though i don't know if that's good or bad now we're seeing foreign pathogens wiping out our native fauna! does anyone know the correct way to dispose of dead exotic animals? Or am i being over cautious!

Ideally dead pets wether native or not, should be frozen until someone can dispose of them i.e. clinical waste vans come and pick them up or do it yourself or through your vets surgery. That would ensure that no diseases are passed on from the corpse.

I have thrown some in the bushes and buried some. They were all native species, but it wasn't till recently that I realized that I could be affecting the native population. But still if I have any deaths in the future I will probably bury it because it is the most respectful in my opinion. :happy: -Seth

If you freeze specimens for 3 weeks, that kills off the vast majority of any lingering nasties.

my 2 year old chelydra serpentina (aka common snapping turtle) is my garbage disposal. I used to bury but I live in a condo and the neighbors weren't fans.

I usually bury my pets. I've had rats in the past (if you couldn't tell by my profile picture), and because we have a really bad coyote population I would always dig the deepest hole I could, toss them in and throw some rocks on top. I did that with both of my dogs, too. If I had the money for it, I would probably opt for cremation though. Preservation is a little weird for me, I would feel too guilty.

My sad little goldfish would have gotten buried, but seeing as how he decided to die the during a school night, I had to rush to the bus and flush the poor dude. So much unintentional rhyming o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: sde
Bad coyote population is a great coyote population to me :D. I love seeing and filming coyotes :p. There is a ton of coyotes around here so I have lots of chances to get them on film ( well trail cam actually ). Hey I live in Washington too! Westside though. -Seth

Last edited:
i would busy mine but im wondering how would you preserve a dead salamander :/ that sounds pretty cool actually

Most people preserve specimens in alcohol now (instead of formalin, like the good ol' days).

As a note: if you've had an animal that has died from disease, you risk transmission to native populations if you bury it outside.

Yah I know. I have a question. lets say you bury a animal that has died of disease and a animal digs it up would that animal get the disease too? can amphibian diseases harm other animals if ingested? -Seth

It depends on the pathogen. It's possible.

I bury them in my potted plants :p

Reactions: sde
feed it to another pet? that's messed up. I couldn't imagine putting my turtle in my dog's bowl. besides what if It died from parasites?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back