Missing filaments?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
So, I just got home and noticed Carlos has a few filaments missing on his top most fronds, more so on the very outer/ top side and a few in the middle of the other one.. There are no catchy ornaments and as you can see a small tank inside of the main tank so they can chill ontop of it (working on some shelving!). What can cause this? No fungal business happening and will be maintaining a close eye on the area. The temperatures have been reasonably low, between 17-19 depending how hot the day is, my fan can only do so much.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 197
These are my readings. Left to right = nitrate, nitrite, ammonia. What would you guess my ammonia is, I think it's closer to the 0 mark but not quite yellow yellow, yet not light green enough to be 0.25ppm. Could this cause the shrinking of gills? Water change with correct dosage was done about 12 hours ago.

P.s the tank inside the tank has beveled edges and is quite thick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Maybe he got stuck on the filter? Have read that happened to someone else and the axie lost filaments

He looks fine to me.

On his top right frond one whole side is missing filaments, isn't that a bit odd?

Like someone earlier stated, he might have gotten his frond stuck in the filter. Or, maybe there was something stuck in the feathers that irritated him and he scratched some of them off. I doubt it's anything more serious than that, don't worry too much. ;)

I don't think he looks sick, but is your tank cycled? I ask because your nitrate is at zero... Shouldn't it be between 20-40. Kinda orange?

My tank is established and has been for a very long time.. My tank has a fair few plants, I just did a water change that day, and I didn't shake the bottle for 1 minute, more like a half assed 30 seconds maybe that's why :confused: but I usually don't have much of a reading it's usually a deep yellow pale orange colour. I agree he doesn't look sick, he's still happy as I was just curious, weird, I wonder what he got up to :mad: haha

Never mind guys! I just looked at photos when I first got him and he had a total of about 5 filaments on that frond anyway. Just a paranoid mum moment :eek:

If you have an ammonia reading and no nitrates then the tank isnt cycled, Is there something that could be causing a hiccup? some hidden uneaten food or poop?

Even after a water change i still have a reading of nitrate, but no ammonia or nitrite :confused:

I don't know if I have reading of ammonia it looks yellow and my partner agreed but the light made it look funny that's why I asked you guys, what do you think? Nope no pooooey anywhere and it stands out pretty hard against white sand :D he is hand fed and I remove anything he spits out. Water changes = everything gets lifted out and rinsed in old tank water as there is a build up of fine sand particles at the moment so nothing hidden.

I've never done a 100% water change ever in my 3 years of having axolotls, if I needed to upgrade a tank or move the tank I keep as much water as I can, with the filter running last and first priority when I put the water back in. The most was probably 80% water change and I didn't fill the tank right up straight away and that was quite a while ago. I do a 20% - 30% water change once a week.

I did however remove the old sand a few weeks ago, left it bare bottom for two weeks with monitoring parameters as I know the cycle can crash removing 10kg of sand. But everything was okay.

Not yesterday, but the last Sunday I bought 10kg of new sand. Could that explain it the readings?

I've never really had much nitrate readings mostly a deep yellow- pale orange (yellow being 0ppm and pale orange being 5ppm).
I

It might just be the light then, it looks a little darker than the nitrate readings in that pic :p

Hmm maybe it was the sand, regardless its nothing to panic about so it will all be fine, and your axie is lovely :D

I will recheck the readings in the morning.. I thought 0-40ppm was within normal range correct me if I'm wrong? I thought having literally no nitrates meant my tank was super clean haha :eek:

Thank you, he is quite a character. He's my only one now :( , I sadly had to put my other one down today it was extremely sad and shed many tears as I did not want to let her go.. felt like a very long trip home even though it's about a five minute car ride from the vets.

Aw thats awful to hear, im very sorry :(

Hmm i dont know i thought if your tank was cycled you would have SOME nitrate reading (but im not sure) but if you only have one axie in a cycled tank then i suppose there wouldnt be that much waste, mine after a water change is around 5ppm and thats in a 3 foot tank with two axies

Thank you :(

I usually do but yeah 3 ft tank, a lot of plants,1 axie, new sand. I'll keep an eye on the readings thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back