Help, I don't know what to do!

B3llaax3

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently discovered these tiny red worms in my system and I don't know what to do...I've been doing water changes every few days, all the levels are good. There is barely any waste in their tubs cause I scoop out their poop when I see it.

Could these be intestinal parasites or something else?
Does anyone know what they are and how to kill them without it affecting my axolotls?

I attached a pic of them, sorry its a bad quality photo but its the best I could get right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 212
So which one... Thread worms?

I think it's pure fear Kaysie :happy:

Even for Willowcat :uhoh:

Its hard to not think that... What is it then? Are they harmful. Idk what to do

Reduce the amount of light. Move the tank away from the window, or run the aquarium lamp less.

Do partial water changes more often. This will help reduce the level of nitrates and phosphates in the water, thus providing less fertilizer for the algae. If you have a significant amount of algae, do more water changes, up to 25% of the water daily for several weeks. Then go back to the normal recommended water changes of 10-20% per week.

Roll up your sleeves. In most cases, getting rid of algae requires you to pull it out or wipe it off by hand. An aquarium cleaning pad will remove most algae from glass, but some kinds require a straight-edge razor blade to scrape off.

Allow some algae to grow in inconspicuous places. The algae that is allowed to grow will consume nutrients, thus making it less likely that algae will erupt in the places where you don't want it. Managing algae is NOT the same as weeding your garden, where you want to eradicate every last weed!

Be patient. Keep up with regular tank maintenance. After a tank is well established (over 1 year without any tear-downs), algae problems will usually subside.

Do NOT use "Algae Destroyer" products.

And most of all, do NOT destroy your cycled tank by cleaning too much, and 100% water changes :-(

Reduce the amount of light. Move the tank away from the window, or run the aquarium lamp less.

Do partial water changes more often. This will help reduce the level of nitrates and phosphates in the water, thus providing less fertilizer for the algae. If you have a significant amount of algae, do more water changes, up to 25% of the water daily for several weeks. Then go back to the normal recommended water changes of 10-20% per week.

Roll up your sleeves. In most cases, getting rid of algae requires you to pull it out or wipe it off by hand. An aquarium cleaning pad will remove most algae from glass, but some kinds require a straight-edge razor blade to scrape off.

Allow some algae to grow in inconspicuous places. The algae that is allowed to grow will consume nutrients, thus making it less likely that algae will erupt in the places where you don't want it. Managing algae is NOT the same as weeding your garden, where you want to eradicate every last weed!

Be patient. Keep up with regular tank maintenance. After a tank is well established (over 1 year without any tear-downs), algae problems will usually subside.

Do NOT use "Algae Destroyer" products.

And most of all, do NOT destroy your cycled tank by cleaning too much, and 100% water changes :-(

I dont have a light on them. Im doing as many water changes as I possibly can. All the levels are within normal range. I dont have an algae problem I have a worm problem! Theres nothing on this post that mentions algae btw. I just want to know what they are and if theyre harmful to my lotls and what I can do to kill them.

Whatever it is it's probably harmless. Just wipe them away with a sturdy paper towel or disposable cloth. They could be some kind of microfauna, insect larvae, bacterial colony etc but if your axies aren't bothered or sick there's nothing to worry about.

And remember that your tank environment is open to all sorts of critters - 90% harmless. You'll get insect eggs and larvae, bacterial slime and blooms, algae and unidentified 'coatings', fungus and things that have snuck in on live plants (yes even if you quarantine them).

I had damsel fly larvae this year, snail invaders and some kind of pink slime on my pipes (probably bacteria). No harm to any axies.

Yes, I understand you have worms, not algea... Did you actually go to the link that Kasey left for you above? I copied and pasted as a courtesy, but actually I guess I should have copied from the second part "Worms, Snails, and Other Critters"...

If you click the link, and read the article, you will see there is nothing to worry about :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back