Strange clear film in tank?

vainglory

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had my tank up for about 2 weeks just running with nothing in it since I haven't been able to find the axolotls I want yet. But for a couple of days, there's been a very thin film that is kind of clear, feels almost soapy, but not bubbly, and (dare I say it) doesn't taste like soap. I tasted it it because when I added water to the tank, it had bubbled a lot and I thought someone had taken my container and used it for soap. I'm not sure what it is, I'd get pictures, but my camera really can't pick it up. I tried to scoop it out but there's some flecks I can't get, and I'm afraid it will "grow" back.

The film is usually a combination of protein from your water, and dust from the air settling on the surface of the water. It's not harmful, and slight agitation (like an air stone) will prevent it from coming back.

Are you adding daily ammonia to cycle your tank before you get your axie?

If you leave the filter and air stone running to cycle your tank, and use a tank lid to stop the dust the film will disappear :D

Are you adding daily ammonia to cycle your tank before you get your axie?

If you leave the filter and air stone running to cycle your tank, and use a tank lid to stop the dust the film will disappear :D

I don't really have any ammonia besides waste water from the goldfish tank. Is that ok?

Waste from your goldfish tank is an excellent source of ammonia!

Yup that is good, you could also add some prawns/fish food to a nylon bag and put it in the tank, when it decays it will add ammonia, then the day before your axies get there, remove the bag :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back